I have been observing this for some time now.  Organisms and their habitats are
being written out of biology, so far as direct experience with them is
concerned.  We soon will have no means of knowing what is going on in nature,
as no one will be investigating nature, or even have a clue as to how to do so.
 It is somewhat disconcerting to attend conferences and witness paper
presentations where it is clear that the presenter has never seen a living,
wild specimen of the organism being reported on and would not know how to go
about finding one.

The Southwestern Association of Naturalists has recently approved, to be
awarded for the first time at its annual meeting in San Diego next April, a new
Student Field Natural History Award.  Details concerning this competition will
be available on the SWAN web site and in the annual call for papers, but
essentially it provides a prestigious award and a monetary prize for the
outstanding paper which includes a substantial field component presented by a
student member at the annual meeting.  More details will appear on the SWAN web
site and in the annual call for papers for next year.  To qualify for the
competition, the investigation reported on must have been carried out on the
natural history (essentially ecology and evolution) of organisms in the
southwestern portion of North America (as defined by SWAN) where they occur in
their environments.

I would encourage ESA and other societies to consider implementing awards for
field based studies.

David McNeely

--
David McNeely