Dear Ecolog. The available position is likely to be of interest to some on your
list.

Computational Ecology and Environment Science group (CEES), Openings for
Permanent Research Scientists

CEES (
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/groups/ecology/<http://mymsr/en-us/groups/ecology/>
 ) has openings for permanent research scientists with an interest in pushing
back the boundaries of computational ecology. Permanent research scientists are
expected to carry out their own, original research in computational ecology,
and to make substantial contributions to our strong record of academic
publication (
http://research.microsoft.com/en-US/groups/ecology/publications.aspx<http://mymsr/en-US/groups/ecology/publications.aspx>
 ). They also have the opportunity to co-supervise PhD students and to take on
postdoctoral researchers. However, applicants will also need to be actively
interested in the things that make CEES different from an academic ecology
department. Within CEES, our small team of permanent scientists work together
as a team to make the greatest impact we can on the scientific community, and
society, whether by furthering our own research; developing new software and
devices to support such research by ourselves or others; placing research
results into the hands of stakeholders from the government, business and NGO
sectors; or publicizing the excitement and use of computational ecology. We
also work closely. We are highly collaborative both with each other; with other
groups within Microsoft Research, including our sister group 'biological
computation', and various computer science groups; and with various individual
or institutional external partners. Therefore, applicants will need to be
flexible and open minded, and willing to imaginatively explore any potential
route for impact, including exploring new areas of scientific research, new
funding sources, and the formation of new partnerships within Microsoft
Research worldwide, Microsoft more generally, or externally. In the coming
years we anticipate increasing our efforts in global ecosystem modelling, food
security, facilitating environmental decision making given multiple
environmental models, and in increasing ecological data gathering via an
imaginative use of new devices, machine learning and citizen science. But even
these are not set in stone. Review of applications will begin immediately, and
will remain open until the positions are filled.
Microsoft Research offers highly competitive salaries and job security, a
flexible work environment and a healthy work-life balance. Review of
applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
For more information or to apply please contact Drew Purves
(dpur...@microsoft.com<mailto:dpur...@microsoft.com>), Matthew Smith
(matt...@microsoft.com<mailto:matt...@microsoft.com>) and / or Lucas Joppa
(lujo...@microsoft.com<mailto:lujo...@microsoft.com>), copying in Becky Frost
(a-ref...@microsoft.com<mailto:a-ref...@microsoft.com>), with a CV and research
statement.
Matthew Smith
Scientist in the Computational Science Laboratory
Microsoft Research Limited,

email: matthew.sm...@microsoft.com<mailto:matthew.sm...@microsoft.com>;   tel:
+44(0)1223 479 784;
Microsoft Research Limited (company number 03369488) is a company registered in
England and Wales whose registered office is at 21 Station Road, Cambridge, CB1
2FB