I can't answer all your questions definitively.  However, butterflies as adults
feed almost exclusively on low mineral materials, and thus benefit greatly by
supplementing their mineral intake from damp soils and feces.  Dragonflies are
carnivores, and would intake more minerals from their diets.  But there may be
specific materials they seek from the sediments.

So far as identification, dragonfly i.d., at least in North America where I am,
is not difficult.  Many amateurs and professionals do it routinely without
specimens in hand.  However, for definitive i.d. learning the wing venation and
using technical sources with specimens in hand and magnification is best.  The
wing venation is not difficult to master, and once you know the species that
frequent your area, markers such as body shape and pigmentation are quite
enough.  A pair of good binoculars helps.  Numerous manuals illustrate the wing
venation and other features of these fascinating creatures.

David McNeely

--
David McNeely