Angela, any volunteer work that you do that is in your field and that
contributes to your experience, skills, and so on should be included on your
resume or cv.  It can help, depending on the needs (and attitude) of the hiring
entity and personnel.  That said, I once got a letter of "recommendation" for
an applicant which basically said that the applicant had indeed "volunteered"
for the recommending person's lab, but that she had made it clear that she was
just there to pick up a reference, and contributed little.  Not a very good way
to "pick up a reference," I'd say.

Hard work, a good attitude, and exhibiting development in a volunteer position
can be just as valuable as in a paid position, especially if particular
marketable skills are learned or improved from the effort.  David McNeely