Dear colleagues,

In my new position at the University of Arkansas, I have the opportunity to
hire some PhD students and to encourage students interested in a masters
degree to check out our programs. A post-doc announcement is coming soon.
I'd be delighted if you can forward this to your research groups and various
scientific networks.

Thanks for your help!

Ben Runkle

Ecological Science/Engineering PhD students wanted

I am recruiting two PhD students to join the Landscape Flux Group within the
Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering at the University of
Arkansas in Fayetteville. These positions can start immediately, in January
2015, or in summer or fall of 2015. Students should have a background in one
or more of the following disciplines: wetland ecology, biogeochemistry,
biometeorology, environmental engineering, watershed or surface-water
hydrology, agricultural sciences or engineering. Some ability to code in
Matlab or a related language is beneficial, as is experience in gas flux
measurements using either chamber-based or eddy covariance methods. These
positions will require a valid US driver’s license.

My research group develops budgets of water, energy, and carbon in different
wetland ecosystems. This research uses micrometeorological techniques to
evaluate land-atmosphere fluxes of water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane and
heat. For example, the eddy covariance technique is used to determine the
turbulent flux within atmospheric boundary layers, whereas hydrological
methods are used to estimate the horizontal fluxes of dissolved carbon in
surface and subsurface waterways. Together these methods quantify major
environmental fluxes that serve as inputs for process-based predictive
modeling and landscape management.

 The PhD research projects will be based in agriculturally-affected wetlands
in Arkansas and low-lying permafrost tundra wetlands in the Arctic. Both
projects will use flux budgeting methods to understand the landscape’s
ecological and hydrological functioning. This research will connect between
site dynamics and climate drivers with the goal of creating simplified
process representations used at the scale of the global climate model.
Resources are available for travel, equipment and international collaboration.

Additional information about graduate admission requirements, possible
supplemental fellowships, and material about the department may be found
here: http://www.baeg.uark.edu/1932.php. Information about the university
and its land grant mission may be found here:
http://arkansas.edu/about/index.php. Furthermore, the university offers
competitive Doctoral Academy Fellowships, which are awards over and above
the departmental stipend. Details on these opportunities are available here:
http://grad.uark.edu/future/funding/index.php.

The University of Arkansas is in the middle of a significant period of
growth in both its student numbers and in raising its profile in research
and innovation. There are significant opportunities here for collaborations
on-campus in water, soil, nanotech, and other laboratories. Fayetteville
Arkansas is a beautiful and culturally vibrant college town amidst the Ozark
Mountain Range. There are plentiful outdoor recreational activities, good
restaurants, and proximity to the world-class art collection of the Crystal
Bridges Museum of American Art.

Please email me, Dr. Benjamin Runkle (brrun...@uark.edu), with a CV,
unofficial transcript, the names of two references, a sample of your
scientific writing, and a description of your research interests.

Benjamin R. K. Runkle
Assistant Professor, Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering
The University of Arkansas, Fayetteville AR 72701
ENGR 231
Phone: 479-575-2878
brrun...@uark.edu
http://wordpress.uark.edu/brrunkle/