We are looking for a graduate student to join our research group beginning
in fall semester 2015. The student would develop an independent research
focus in line with ongoing lab projects. We are exploring how plant traits
relate to community structure and function of decomposing fungi using
culturing and next generation sequencing techniques and the consequences of
these interactions for the forest carbon cycle in the Central and Eastern
USA and Eastern Australia as climate changes. Additionally, we are looking
at the evolution, ecology and physiology of plants across environmental
gradients in various locations around the globe. The student would join an
interactive lab group (http://www.phylodiversity.net/azanne/) that broadly
focuses on plant and microbe structure and function (anatomy and
physiological ecology), community ecology, and evolutionary ecology, both in
the temperate and tropical areas. The graduate work will be completed at
George Washington University. Washington, DC is a dynamic city with a wealth
of ecologists and evolutionary biologists. We have strong links to area
institutions, including the Smithsonian. George Washington University is
located in the heart of DC, with easy access to numerous science,
conservation, and policy based institutions. If you are interested in
working with us, please send an email to me (Amy Zanne: aeza...@gmail.com)
with brief details about your GPA, GRE, research interests, experience, and
why you want to go to graduate school. For information about applying to the
program, go to the George Washington University, Department of Biological
Sciences website (http://departments.columbian.gwu.edu/biology/). The
application deadline is 2 January 2015. I am also happy to answer any
further questions you might have.