Gavin is right, "Letters to a Young Scientist" is very helpful. Moreover,
most of EO Wilson's books are great.

"The Sixth Extinction" by Elizabeth Kolbert is a quick and digestible
overview of the mass extinction currently occurring on Earth.

"Sand County Almanac" by Aldo Leopold is a classic conservation read.

Otherwise, pick up a Princeton field guide and spend some time outside
identifying!

Sam Raasch
Global Forest Watch
World Resources Institute