Oh dear, I apologize if I was not clear. I do not object to using social
media. My concern is with using them as metrics of science quality and more
generally for outreach.

Amongst my concerns are fake and irrelevant postings on Twitter, the
ability to buy likes on Facebook, both censorship of various groups and
spamdexing on Reddit.   Check out the tweets for Origin of the Species.

One obviously wants to push one's presence on social media. Universities
have PR departments that do this with varying degrees of competence. Then
there are people you can pay to help you with this by gaming the system.
Manipulating citation rates already occurs, so if social media become
valued as metrics for science, they will be gamed. Gaming citations
requires a certain degree of effort, papers published over months or years;
gaming social media merely requires a credit card number, a computer and a
few seconds.

Also who are we twittering to? Our friends and colleagues? How is this
outreach to the general public? How many nuances can be contained in 144
words?

A deeper question might be how social media reflect the enduring value of
scientific articles. Citation equations exist to measure impact over time
but social media are by their nature much more immediate. An analogy might
be to movie openings. With a bad film, distributors will try to open in as
many theaters as possible and advertise like crazy, to generate traffic the
first weekend before word gets out that the film stinks. A good paper would
be more like The Rocky Horror Picture Show, persisting for decades. RHPC
has 7 tweets and 61 followers; Fast and Furious has 25.9 K tweets and 43.5
K followers. Will Fast and Furious still be showing in theaters in 30 years
(not to say Fast and Furious is a bad film, I haven't seen it)?

As I said, I am not against social media. I  spent about an hour today
working on my group's Facebook page and, in my other job as president of a
faculty union, we employ two folks to help us with social media. I am
against simply assuming that social media are effective for science, either
as metrics or as outreach. And I have to ask if social media are so
effective for science, why do so many people not believe in evolution or
vaccination, while believing in extraterrestrials, horoscopes, ghosts and
other things that go bump in the night?

David Duffy

--
David Duffy