We have used quite a variety of GPS equipped cameras for the last 5 years
and the results have been quite mixed.  Most of the cameras have been point
and shoot Nikons (P6000, P510, P520, AW100, etc.) and two Panasonics.  Also
tried Nikon's GPS1 plug-in GPS on a DSLR and the relatively new D5300 DSLR
with GPS built in. The bottom line for all the cameras is that all they all
work, but they take a long time to get a GPS fix. The GPS also drains the
battery.  And the GPS is not all that accurate.

We are now using a good quality Garmin GPS (like the GPSmap G2sc) and
leaving it running during the entire field day. Then we download the tracks
from the GPS and use the excellent free software, Geosetter, to geotag the
photos. This method is much more accurate and reliable than the in-camera
GPS. It is easy and works great - with all cameras.  All you have to do is
record the time offset between your GPS and your camera. That is a critical
input parameter.  You can take a picture of the GPS screen displaying the
time with your camera to use for this time offset.  Or you can set your
camera time with the GPS so there is no time offset.

This is much easier than it may sound. We resisted geotagging this way for
years, but we finally realized that the camera GPS systems will never be
that good.

Peter Morrison
Executive Director
Pacific Biodiversity Institute