I have been an "evaluator" for both a French PhD and a tenure
(habilitacion) review. In both cases the approach was similar to those
described. The proceedings, except for the committee deliberations, are
open to the public, the candidate gives a long presentation, the committee
asks questions and then members of the public may ask questions.  The PhD
defense process was more formal than a US dissertation defense and the
party was much better, especially with respect to the wine <g>. A major
difference is that there were a number of possible outcomes (I think there
were three or maybe even four types of passes possible) in contrast to the
single pass/fail used at what I would assume are most American
universities. There was much discussion about the level of "pass" to give
the candidate, because this rating is used in evaluating the candidate for
jobs. Dress was what I would call "university informal" although the
candidate typically wore formal dress (not tails). The tenure evaluation
was different in the sense that it was a public process, again, except for
committee deliberations, and the verdict was announced to the public. The
the partying started. Although these presentations were likely stressful to
the candidates, the greater formality actually created more of a sense of
community, given that it was a real rite of passage, rather than a "okay
you passed, let's grab some brewskis at 4:20).  Our society, academic and
otherwise has lost many meaningful rites of passage and so I liked this
one. This thread started with a toast about Finnish PhD's and in Finland
when you pass you receive an academic hat but also IIRC a sword! Of course
in our most American of ways we'd probably chose to give a handgun and I
await with baited breath to see what Texas universities will decide in the
future. cheers, g2

--
Gary D. Grossman, PhD

Professor of Animal Ecology
Warnell School of Forestry & Natural Resources
University of Georgia
Athens, GA, USA 30602

Research http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Gary_Grossman

Board of Editors - Animal Biodiversity and Conservation
Editorial Board - Freshwater Biology
Editorial Board - Ecology Freshwater Fish

Sculpture by Gary D. Grossman
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gary-Grossmans-Sculpture-Portfolio/124819124227147?fref=ts

Hutson Gallery Provincetown, MA - www.hutsongallery.net/artists.html

My ukulele channel - www.youtube.com/user/garydg29