Lab/Field Assistant Job
 I am a plant biologist at UC Merced looking for at least one full-time lab &
field assistant.  Research in our lab centers on forest ecology & genetics,
particularly responses to climate change. The technician appointment would be
for 6 months, with potential for renewal for a further 6 months.  Starting pay
$14.57/hour.  I am hoping to hire one person starting as soon as possible this
fall (late Sept – early Oct), with a possible second hire starting in January
2016.
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in a biology-related field, good
organizational and time management skills, basic computer skills (excel, word
processing, etc.), and a driver’s license.  Candidates must have experience
with plant genetics, including sequencing, DNA extraction, PCR.  Experience
developing or working with SNPs would be desirable.  Ecology field experience,
including measuring and identifying trees, collecting seed, etc. is also be
desirable.  Additional skills that would be helpful (but not necessarily
required) include experience with plant propagation, a working knowledge of
statistics, and/or R programming.  Please note if you have a driver’s license
and access to a vehicle.
Under-represented minorities are particularly encouraged to apply.
Duties will include assisting with development of SNP markers for Ponderosa
pine alongside collaborators at Davis, helping to set up field sites in Sequoia
National Park, assisting with equipment ordering and testing of protocols in
the lab, literature searches, cleaning and maintaining laboratory equipment,
and data entry and analysis.
The laboratory assistant will also be expected to participate in lab meetings
and update his/her skills by reading and participating classes/workshops as
necessary.
To apply, please send me your CV and a cover letter explaining your interest in
the position and whether you would prefer the fall or winter start date:
emor...@ucmerced.edu<mailto:emor...@ucmerced.edu>.  Reply before October 1 for
fall position, before December 20 for winter position.  CA candidates or others
who could relocated quickly preferred for fall position.
UC Merced is the newest school of the University of California system
(http://www.ucmerced.edu/).  The campus is small but diverse.  Merced is a town
of 80 thousand people located in the central valley, and cost of living is low.
 It is conveniently located 1 hour north of Fresno (the closest airport), 2
hours east of Berkeley and San Francisco, 2 hours south of Davis and
Sacramento, and 2 hours west of Yosemite National Park.

Emily Moran
Assistant professor, UC Merced