This is long, and I am posting it to Ecolog because, frankly, I guarantee a
ton of people are asking the same question as you!

the only realistic way you will get this is to take some classes.
When I graduated with my BS most bio programs only required a genetics
class.  Then, I attended an MS program where most of the courses were more
field-based or traditional ecology (biogeography, evolution, etc.).  The
molecular tools became a dominant tool requirement became a common request
in the 90s.  When I did my PHD everyone already knew them.  I took lab
courses that taught specifically how to do methods I had not done (or was
shaky on).  Now, anyone with a BS should have run an elisa and done some
basic things like PCR (heck, they were teaching basic PCR in freshman
biology at the community college in the mid-1990s.  THese students did not
"KNOW" it, but they had a clue at least about what was going on.  Check
your local community college, they might teach biotech courses.  It is
increasingly common for community colleges to have some form of biotech
classes and programs.  I lived near SIUE after my MS and had no molecular
experience/training.  I did not know a PCR from a blot test.  So, I
attended a recombinant DNA course and a molecular genetics course at that
school through a neat adult learner program they offered at the time.  YOu
could take any course for a small fee (in 1995 I think it was $15).  So, I
enrolled in grantsmanship, molecular genetics, recombinant DNA, entomology,
insect morphology, field botany, and a few other courses.  There were no
transcripts but you could keep your receipt which would show what course
you paid to take.  There may be similar programs at universities near you.

There is also the option to earn an MS or graduate certificate at a nearby
institution specifically in molecular biology.  However, I will tell you
that although every student should know the basics of these molecular
tests, most graduates with a BS at least are not fluent in their usage.
THey are kind of like the kid who drove a car for the first time in drivers
ed.  The real skill with these techniques is understanding what jels to
use, and the amazing number of specialized molecular methods tht now
exist.  IF you are truly interested in learning molecular techniques, I
suggest you find a class and take it.  However, it is generally true that
permanent jobs in which biology students get hired break up loosely into
lab techs, desk jobs, and teaching.

Many testing labs hire biology majors.  These positions may be doing
chemical testing (I was once interviewed to test the viscosity of paint in
a paint factory!), forensic tests, or environmental tests (using standard
test organisms or methods with instrumentation).  Often, these jobs have
nothign to do with biology, but your understanding of laboratory "life" is
essential.  Some places may hire you for clinical testing, but generally
these jobs go to people who have a back ground in medical technology.  I
remember once being interviewed for a field chemist job in which I was to
collect soil and water samples around chemical factories.  I live in Kansas
City and there are a surprising large number of environemntal testing labs
around here.  At least one in Overland Park, another over in Columbia
Missouri that I am aware of.  They pay darn well too.  I have seen their
job ads on Indeed.com.  Clin ical testing labs tend to hire people with
education in med tech.  THings like medical technologist, clinical
laboratory tech, serologist, hematologist, etc., these are all med tech
jobs and most biology majors just will not qualify.  Likewise, there has
been a movement for biotech AA degrees and you may see jobs for gel
technicians, and such wich are mostly filled by people with simple training
via such degrees and training programs.

Federal and state jobs with the department of the interior and US EPA tend
to be desk jobs where you do a lot of permit approvals denials.  THese are
very important jobs and from the outside sound kind of dry, but they can be
amazingly interesting.  Most of these jobs are multi-tasking of sorts with
say 50% permits, 20% NEPA EIS reviews, 20% Endangred species paperwork, 10%
research.  The research part is largely assisting biologists when needed.
The other kinds of jobs are few in number by comparison so there is WAY
more competition for things like a wildlife biologist doing direct wildlife
studies. I was offered a really neat job like this with the US EPA many
years ago. It was a PHD level job, but it involved pesticide policy for the
entire US and was stationed in Washington DC.  FOr me, visiting the city is
one thing, living in city that goes on forever was too much!  I turned it
down.  This is another thing you HAVE to consider when applying for jobs
and training for potential careers...is the job and the place you have to
live to do it compatable.  It is hard to be a Forester in the great plains,
an arctic surveyor in Nevada, or a desert ecologist in ALaska.  It can be
done, but it is pretty darn difficult.

The USDA also hires a lot of biology types with the US Forest Service and
in the NRCS.  After my BS I was interviewed for a soil and water
conservation technician where I would have done a lot of bank erosion work
and things like taht.  The thing about NRCS offices is that you have the
federal jobs and the local office jobs.  SOme are paid by the feds, some
are paid by the local district.  That means you must investigate the local
office too.  Active NRCS offices may have individuals hired specifically to
do Phase I ESA because many of the farm loans require this.  If you have
the training, you can even free lance here, but its a competitive market
because consultancies often give discounts for PHase I in hope they can get
the Phase II follow up if needed...PHase II is very expensive because it
involves lots of testing, whereas Phase I is simply checking the history on
a property.

The US Army Corps of Engineers also hire a lot of biology grads to do
various things at their lakes.  A lot of these opportunities are ranger
jobs.  Although not required, the ideal candidate would have a minor in law
enforcement.  Likewise for game wardens and conservation police officers.
Sometimes biology woudl be better as a minor with criminal justice as the
major! USACE also has a lot of permit jobs associated with waterways.

There are tons of GIS opportunities, and you can get this training at ESRI
institute.  You will learn enough to be dangerous and obtain an entry level
position.  Taking a course at a college will also do the trick.  GIS jobs
often pay well, and can be had from city municipalities, private agencies,
state and feds.

consultancies hire people that do everything from paperwork to lab and
field testing surveys.  And, most of these jobs are not molecular.

In fact, you might be surprised to learn that molecular biology is a
standard thing every biologist knows today.  Likewise, it is becomeing
increasingly competitive because so many applicants exist.  This is true of
anythng though.  You need to know basic molecular techniques.  However, if
you don't, there are a bajillion (that is an industry term!) jobs out there
that do not require it or care if you ever saw a lab gel.  So, if you
desire learning it, hey, its a good idea. However, it is not going to be
the gateway to a job, if that is your ultimate hope.  It will only be the
gateway to a job that requires knowledge of molecular methods!!!

IF you want to discuss this further, email me.  :)

--
Malcolm L. McCallum, PHD, REP
Link to online CV and portfolio :

 “Nothing is more priceless and worthy of preservation than the rich array
of animal life with which our country has been blessed. It is a
many-faceted treasure, of value to scholars, scientists, and nature lovers
alike, and it forms a vital part of the heritage we all share as Americans.”
-President Richard Nixon upon signing the Endangered Species Act of 1973
into law.

"Peer pressure is designed to contain anyone with a sense of drive" - Allan
Nation

1880's: "There's lots of good fish in the sea"  W.S. Gilbert
1990's:  Many fish stocks depleted due to overfishing, habitat loss,
            and pollution.
2000:  Marine reserves, ecosystem restoration, and pollution reduction
          MAY help restore populations.
2022: Soylent Green is People!

The Seven Blunders of the World (Mohandas Gandhi)
Wealth w/o work
Pleasure w/o conscience
Knowledge w/o character
Commerce w/o morality
Science w/o humanity
Worship w/o sacrifice
Politics w/o principle

contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not