Graduate assistantships are available for M.S. or Ph.D. positions in the
Siepielski Lab https://asiepielski.wordpress.com in the Department of
Biological Sciences and Program in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at the
University of Arkansas main campus in Fayetteville, AR
(http://biology.uark.edu). Our lab focuses on questions at the intersection of
community ecology and evolutionary biology. Current projects include examining
spatial variation in the mechanisms that maintain species diversity in aquatic
food webs, the contribution of ongoing evolution in shaping the demographic
processes regulating populations, and determining the major features
characterizing natural selection in the wild. To explore these topics we use a
combination of observational, experimental, meta-analytical, and theoretical
approaches.
I am looking for students interested in developing their own project on themes
broadly related to those listed above. Ideal applicants would have prior
research experience in ecology and/or evolutionary biology, previous coursework
in statistics, and a genuine passion to conduct research. Depending on
availability, students may be funded through a combination of research
assistantships for upwards of four semesters, with the remainder of their
degree being supported through a teaching assistantship. Graduate research
fellowships are also a possibility for highly competitive candidates. Please
see http://biology.uark.edu/1251.php for additional information on graduate
funding opportunities.
 The University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR, is a Tier I research university
located in the Ozark Mountains. The faculty and graduate students at UARK are
highly interactive and include an internationally known group of evolutionary
biologists and ecologists. We are located in an ideal setting for field-based
projects in aquatic systems (AR has more than 2,300 lakes and thousands of
smaller ponds, and equally impressive numbers of rivers, streams and creeks).
Fayetteville, located in northwest Arkansas, offers a high quality of living at
a low cost, an excellent climate, and is a large enough city to offer diverse
activities and amenities. Rock climbing, hiking, kayaking, canoeing, and
mountain biking opportunities are in close proximity.
 Prospective students should check out my website
https://asiepielski.wordpress.com for additional information. If interested in
joining our lab group, please contact me via email
(amsie...@uark.edu<mailto:amsie...@uark.edu>). In your email, please include
the following: 1) a brief description of your research interests, career goals,
and why you think our lab would be a good fit for you, 2) whether you are
interested in a M.S. or Ph.D., and 3) contact information for three references.
In addition, please attach your CV. Please note that the deadline for Fall 2016
admission into our program is January 15, 2016. All materials should be
submitted well before then.
Adam M. Siepielski
Department of Biological Sciences
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville AR, 72701
Ph: 1-479-575-6357
Web:
https://asiepielski.wordpress.com<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__asiepielski.wordpress.com&d=AwMGaQ&c=JL-fUnQvtjNLb7dA39cQUcqmjBVITE8MbOdX7Lx6ge8&r=nfe3cX-vXE_dMtCluhsxvp2Re-O4bl7iovYFfl68Jro&m=4EQShYLDv2VjVAyZnMwARTdt3Co19Kkms28RLCqJTZ0&s=LW61a9-pXQ1NdIW5J4LIe1ID0W0f57QMA4wg0o4Vz2s&e=>