POST-DOC in FOOD WEB MODELING

The Jefferson Project—an exciting collaborative research endeavor between
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI), IBM, and The FUND for Lake George—
will be hiring a post-doc to develop food web models of freshwater ecosystems.

Researchers in ecology, engineering, computer science, meteorology, and the
arts are using Lake George (located in upstate NY) as a model system to
better understand how humans are affecting lake ecosystems around the world.
Collectively, we are using and creating cutting-edge, “smart” technology to
study freshwater ecosystems:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0OU9hfyZqU&list=PLC5671247BDB6A0B8

The Jefferson Project is in its third year of monitoring the physical,
chemical, and biological factors of Lake George. These monitoring data are
being integrated with data from experiments investigating the impacts of
excess nutrients, invasive species, and other contaminants on freshwater
food webs. We have already generated advanced weather, hydrology, and lake
circulation models. To validate these models, we are using high-resolution
data from the “Smart Sensor Web” being deployed at Lake George. Our goal is
to link these physical models and integrate them to food web models,
allowing us to better understand how humans have altered, and will continue
to alter, lake ecosystems. The ideal candidate will have a strong
understanding of food web modeling and concomitant publication record.
Programing expertise (e.g., C++, Python, R, Matlab) is also highly desired.

Rensselaer has a growing group of aquatic ecologists, first-rate facilities
for aquatic research, and a beautiful field station on Lake George. The
modeler will also have the opportunity to collaborate with computer
scientists and have access to state-of-the-art supercomputers, including the
IBM Blue Gene/Q.

For additional information:
     http://relyealab.wix.com/relyea-lab
     http://faculty.rpi.edu/node/35931
     http://faculty.rpi.edu/node/35932
     http://eichll.wix.com/lawrence-eichler
     http://www.rpi.edu/dept/DFWI/
     http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/47219.wss

Applicants should send a cover letter, CV, research statement, and a list of
3 references to Dr. Rick Relyea (rel...@rpi.edu) in PDF format.

Applications will be reviewed as they arrive. The desired start date is
April or May 2016.

Dr. Rick Relyea
Executive Director, Darrin Fresh Water Institute
Director of The Jefferson Project
David M. Darrin ’40 Senior Endowed Chair
Dept. of Biological Sciences, BT2115
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Troy, NY 12180