We need citizen scientists to help us better understand the ecology of the salt
marsh. We have two web sites where you or your students can help us with our
research.

The first web site is the "Image Matching Game" at
http://129.7.249.177:85/index/signin or ScalingUpMarshScience.cs.uh.edu. Since
2010, we have taken thousands of overlapping photographs of a salt marsh, and
we need to align the photographs to create detailed maps for each year (each
year consists of about 10,000 photographs). Because the images are taken from
close to the marsh surface, and lack strong visual features, software programs
are unable to align them automatically. Humans are better at this task than
computers, and can identify matching features in pairs of photographs.

The second web site is the "Marsh Explorer" at
http://marshexplorer.cs.uh.edu:86/.  This site asks you to identify the plant
and animal species present in the photographs. This is a harder task, but it
gets us the detailed information that we need to understand the distribution of
each species. It is also more educational, because users will learn the names
of the common marsh species.
Both web sites teach some basic facts about salt marsh ecology. (If you have
ideas about facts that are missing, please send us suggestions using the
feedback link).

We'd love your help at both sites, and your feedback. Educators, please
consider this as an extra credit assignment in your classes. It will expose
your students to the idea of citizen science, and also teach them a little bit
about salt marsh ecology.

Steven Pennings, University of Houston, spenni...@uh.edu