So then, you were not ultimately included as an author because the process
worked.
Had you been placed in the acknowledgements, and you were deserved of
co-authorship,
the paper would have gone to press without you finding out until it was too
late.
This is just one more reason why erring on the side of author rather than
being stingy generally
leads to better outcomes.   Note, I don't think you have held a grudge on
the matter!
Malcolm