Call for applications: Mountain Research Initiative – Executive
The Director of the Mountain Research Initiative (MRI) manages the
Coordination Office with vision and innovative spirit, promoting
research collaboration and scientific community development in the
domain of sustainable mountain development at local, regional and global
levels. Through targeted funding as well as communications and
administrative support, the Office implements projects that link diverse
researchers, explore areas of mutual interest, and generate common
action. It keeps the research community informed, and works with
research organizations and funding agencies to ensure that mountain
topics are recognized and addressed.
The MRI Director is a 80% position under a fixed-duration contract (up
to 3 years and renewable, dependent on funding) with the University of
Bern and subject to the regulations of the Civil Service of the Canton
of Bern. The position will be available on 1 April 2017. Other start
dates can be negotiated.
* Execute MRI’s current program with significant scientific guidance:
supporting the development of mountain observations; promote common
understanding of mountain social-ecological systems; sustain a
coherent, interactive research community; identify and foster
critical research; enhance the visibility of mountain concerns
within existing scientific organizations and events.
* Monitor MRI’s strategic environment to identify and pursue
opportunities for promoting and implementing MRI’s vision: maintain
appropriate relationships with major national, regional and global
research funding programs and research institutions, as well as
Swiss funding, research and government organizations; draft funding
proposals as necessary to support MRI’s activities; and advocate for
the mountain research community in relevant research and policy arenas.
* Support the Initiative’s Science Leadership Council (SLC) through
information, consultation, periodic meetings, and assist SLC members
to promote and coordinate global change research in mountain regions.
* Manage MRI funding: develop budgets, oversee disbursements and
verify financial reports; and develop other reports for funding and
* Supervise staff; comply with the host institution’s regulations.
* Five or more years of experience in senior strategic, operational,
financial, and human resources management of interna tional
* Demonstrated scientific track record illustrating commitment to
mountain regions and peoples.
* Familiarity with Swiss and international mountain policy processes
and institutions; existing network of contacts.
* Excellent intercultural communication, interpersonal and
* Spoken and written proficiency in German or French and English.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to submit a full CV and letter of
intent to rolf.weingart...@giub.unibe.ch by November 15, 2016. Please
send all documents in one pdf file only.
Prof. Dr. Rolf Weingartner
Chair of the Mountain Research Initiative
The Mountain Research Initiative
c/o Institute of Geography
University of Bern, Switzerland