Origins of distinctly diminished interdisciplinary communication?

Dear Colleagues:

Question: Does anyone has an idea on the origins of diminished
interdisciplinary communication in many academic disciplines, including the
subject matter of this listserver?

Background: I just returned from a day-long professional meeting re.
inclusion of the  arts (*sensu lato*) in the teaching of science,
technology, engineering, and mathematics (= STEM). The meeting was
fascinating and one of the reasons for that were the extended periods for
discussions. One interesting discussion topic was the origin of diminished
interdisciplinary communication.

While in the so-called western world the second half of the 19th century
approximately marks a rapid increase in scientific knowledge and
consequently, new words, today, I learned that (supposedly) the distinctly
diminished interdisciplinary communication comes later. Specifically, I was
surprised by the comment of a participant expressing that such diminished
communication may have been exacerbated by the emphasis in the purity of
many disciplines (STEM or non-STEM). In turn, this purity may have been an
effect of elitists ideologies, such as fascism.

Are you aware of any scholarship in this topic? This is related to science
(lack of) communication that I suspect many of us have experienced whereby
scientists try to speak (or write) to impress instead of to communicate. In
simpler words, since when was it has been "cool" to, given the increase in
knowledge, to alienate through the use of intelligible language - instead
of bringing together - people of different disciplines?

If you have any constructive comments, please send them directly to me at:
blayjo...@gmail.com

Apologies for potential duplicate emails.

Sincerely,

Jorge

Jorge A. Santiago-Blay, PhD
blaypublishers.com

1. Positive experiences for authors of papers published in *LEB*
http://blaypublishers.com/testimonials/

2. Free examples of papers published in *LEB*:
http://blaypublishers.com/category/previous-issues/.

3. *Guidelines for Authors* and page charges of *LEB*:
http://blaypublishers.com/archives/ *.*