There's a new book by Mike Shanahan about fig trees, "Gods, Wasps, and
Stranglers," and I interviewed him about the latter part of the book he
uses to focus on the restoration potential of fig trees, including
stranglers: he says whole forests could be regenerated by planting figs,
since they will grow on anything and attract and feed so many other species:

https://news.mongabay.com/2016/11/can-fig-trees-regrow-lost-rainforests/

We talk about FORRU's use of drones to drop seedlings on hard to reach
areas, but most of this experimental work is done by people carrying
baskets of young figs on their backs so far.

“By themselves the figs could build a forest,” ecologist EJH Corner wrote
almost a century ago.

Erik

--

See my latest writing projects for Sierra magazine, the Guardian,
and others plus online photo gallery here <http://www.erikhoffner.com/>

*tw: @erikhoffner <https://twitter.com/ErikHoffner>*