Washington State Department of Natural Resources
Forest Engineer - Timber Sales
Natural Resources Engineer 2
Recruitment #2017-01-5808-00822

LOCATION: Chehalis, Washington
SALARY RANGE:
$4,005 - $5,253 per month plus comprehensive benefit package and retirement.
We also offer generous paid vacation leave, paid state holidays and sick leave.
CLOSES: February 26, 2017
Note: Recruitment may be extended after February 26th depending on the quantity
and quality of the application pool.

Lewis District is actively seeking a Forest Engineer supporting the timber
sales and forest roads programs. We're looking for someone who has strong
written and verbal communication skills, the ability to create solutions, and
loves to work in the woods. Our team of engineers and foresters offers a
collaborative and dynamic environment where you can grow personally and
professionally.

This Forest Engineer position maintains, designs, and coordinates forest road
construction on state-managed lands while minimizing impacts to surrounding
landscapes and waters. As a Forest Engineer you will work with foresters and
biologists to create successful logging plans for DNR's timber sales program by
analyzing logging system feasibility, and road infrastructure use and costs.

These Forest Engineer positions are seen as providing leadership development
opportunities within the agency and can offer you broad exposure to all levels
of management and professional development. For candidates willing to take the
next step, opportunities include a development pathway toward management
positions, professional engineering licensure, and/or executive developmental
assignments.
DNR employees provide professional, forward-looking stewardship of our state
lands, natural resources, and environment by providing leadership in creating a
sustainable future for the Trusts and all Washington citizens.  If you are
looking for a job that combines the need to challenge your analytical mind with
your love of the outdoors, join our team in Lewis District and help us meet our
goals while we help you meet your own.

REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
*         Knowledge of forest engineering principles, techniques and
application such as: logging systems, harvest system design, and road
transportation design
*         Knowledge of  ground and cable logging systems, and forest road
construction equipment and use
*         Use of engineering equipment, tools and software
*         The ability to communicate effectively in verbal and written context
*         The ability to work independently on assigned tasks
*         The ability to develop, plan, implement and manage activities to meet
targets and deadlines
*         Knowledge of forest management objectives and  timber management
planning
*         Proven ability in computer applications such as Microsoft Word and
Excel
*         A documented history and continual commitment to safe work practices

This level of knowledge and skill is typically achieved after receiving:

*         A Bachelor's degree in Forest Engineering, Civil Engineering, or
Forest Operations Management.

DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
*         Knowledge of forest practice standards, rules and laws
*         Knowledge of hydraulic structure design
*         Experience using ArcGIS software
*         Strong facilitation and negotiation skills
*         The ability to conduct contract administration on forest and road
maintenance projects.
*         Familiar with the use of forest engineering tools such as GPS and
laser measurement devices; and auto CAD, RoadEng and other engineering software
programs

SPECIAL POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
*         Ability to work on uneven terrain in all weather conditions.
*         The incumbent in this position is required to travel.
*         Must have a valid driver's license and have two years of driving
experience. This position requires driving as an essential function.  Employees
who drive for state business, whether in a state or privately-owned vehicle,
are required to possess a valid license as defined in policy PO02-006 and abide
by all other driver responsibility requirements.
*         Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of hire.
*         Must have a valid driver's license and have two years of driving
experience.

FOR MORE INFORMATION AND HOW TO APPLY:
http://agency.governmentjobs.com/dnr/default.cfm?action=viewJob&jobID=1644873
OR go to: www.dnr.wa.gov/employment/jobs<http://www.dnr.wa.gov/employment/jobs>
and search for Forest Engineer - Timber Sales.

Questions?  Call Jon Tweedale at (360) 740-6848 or e-mail him at
jon.tweed...@dnr.wa.gov<mailto:jon.tweed...@dnr.wa.gov>