Help Sequence The Explosive Bombardier Beetle Genome!

I am writing for your support and vote to help us win PacBio’s World’s Most
Interesting
Genome contest. My team aims to unravel the mysteries of the explosive
bombardier
beetle (Brachinus elongatulus), a species that repels predators with
rapid-fire, precisely-
aimed explosive discharges of a toxic chemical mix at over 100°C, earning them
lead roles
in media and culture.

We propose sequencing the genome of the bombardier beetle to generate a
resource and
model system for insect chemical biosynthesis, fill a major gap in our
knowledge of the
tree of life, and provide an unparalleled opportunity to advance understanding
of
biodiversity and evolutionary biology among the general public.

Our team's proposal to sequence the bombardier beetle's genome has been
selected as
one of 5 finalists to undergo a popular vote for the world's most interesting
genome. More
than 200 proposals were submitted to the PacBio 2017 Plant and Animal SMRT
Grant
Program.

The final winner is selected by popular vote. We need your VOTE on the PacBio
website to
help us win this competition: http://www.pacb.com/smrt-science/smrt-
grant/pag2017/explosive-beetle/

You can vote today and everyday through April 5th. You can use up to 3 email
addresses to
vote per day.

Learn more about our research and watch the bombardier beetle’s CHEMICAL CANNON
in
action on this website:
http://www.pacb.com/smrt-science/smrt-grant/pag2017/explosive-
beetle/

Thank you for supporting Team Explosive Bombardier Beetle!

Tanya

#SeqtheBeetle

--
Tanya Renner, Ph.D.