Dear Fellow Ecologgers,

And now for a fun and not-very-scientific request (and yes, I realize that
April Fool’s Day is coming up)….I would like to develop a fun presentation for
our departmental awards gathering next month and I am working on a short 10-15
minute talk on “The Tiki Effect”. Many labs I have been in through the years
often have good luck charms (i.e. a tiki statue or something similar) that they
place on top of their PCR machines, or any other equipment, to improve success.
 But does it?  Just to be fun and as a statical exercise, our lab has been
gathering data for some time on PCR success rates with and without the tiki
statue.  So we will analyze these data - probably modifying a bit for this
particular presentation (if needed) so it is a bit humorous.

My question for you….if you also traditionally use these types of good luck
charms, could you please send me a photo of them in action off the list?  I
would like to collect these and use them in our presentation just to show how
widespread this behavior might be.

Thanks,
Theresa

Theresa M. Culley, Ph.D.