Peatland Ecosystem Ecology Research Technician. We seek applicants to fill the
role
of Research Technician for externally-funded projects in the Department of
Geography and the Environment at Villanova University (southeastern PA) to
examine
how the interactive effects of increased fire frequency (climate change
induced) and
potentially enhanced nitrogen deposition (from Oil Sands development in
northern
Alberta, Canada) affect peatland ecosystem function. In collaboration with our
team
of PI’s, our Senior Research Technicians and students, the successful candidate
will
aid PI’s in evaluating human impacts on bogs and fens. The research will
include
activities such as field measurements of carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, and
methane
gas fluxes, characterization of soil/pore-water chemistry, and quantification
of several
N cycling processes (biological N2-fixation, N mineralization,
denitrification/nitrification).  Field research takes place in northern
Alberta, Canada.
Additionally, a complimentary suite of biogeochemical measurements will be made
on analytical equipment in the laboratories at Villanova. The candidate must be
able
to commit to living in Alberta, Canada (plane fare and room/board covered from
grant funds for 3-4 months, May through August) to direct and participate in
summer
field sampling campaigns, in addition to several week- to two-week, at a time,
campaigns in the early spring and fall. The successful candidate must be able
to work
cooperatively and collaboratively with PI’s, technicians, graduate, and
undergraduate
students. A minimum of a B.S. degree in a relevant field is required; a M.S.
degree
plus two years of related lab and field experience is preferred. Individuals
possessing
a rugged work ethic and good sense of humor will stand out from the rest.  We
anticipate 3 years of funding to support this position. This position includes
full
benefits, including annual and sick leave, health insurance, and retirement.
Salary will
be commensurate with experience. Applications must be submitted through the
Villanova University job website (https://jobs.villanova.edu) and must include
a cover
letter, vita/resume, and contact information for at least three references.
Evaluation
of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is
filled. For
specific questions about the position, please contact Dr. Melanie A. Vile
(mv...@villanova.edu), Dr. Kel Wieder (kelman.wie...@villanova.edu), or Kim
Scott
(ksc...@villanova.edu).

For more information about our research program, visit
http://www1.villanova.edu/villanova/artsci/biology/research/ecosystem.html.
Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component
of
Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/
Affirmative
Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute
to the University's mission and value.