Dear Colleagues,

Apologies for the cross-posting

Could you kindly forward this information to potentially interested
students?

-------------------------------

Dear students,

We wanted to create something that would have a positive social impact in
cities. Therefore, through a research project with Professor Leda Cooks of
the University of Massachusetts Amherst, we studied a section of a
population that has no access to food and how waste is an issue that
involves the food sector as well as other sectors. We also studied the
perception of food waste in the USA (through research in the area around
UMASS Amherst) as well as in the city of Rome. We conducted interviews and
analyzed data regarding the perception of food waste of consumers,
producers and distributors.  Food waste was (and is) one of the biggest
paradoxes in the world, because a third of food produced in the world is
wasted even though there are 800 million undernourished people.  This
material needs to be explored more at an academic level and for this
reason, this year, we launched a pioneering study abroad course on Food
Waste.

Food and shelter are perhaps the most material of all human needs, and are
as such intimately connected to each other and to political and symbolic
usage via communication. Food is never simply matter to fill the belly--
politics, power, identity and culture are inseparable from our
understandings of food's rather basic function—as necessity for survival.
We communicate through food all the meanings we assign and attribute to
culture (space, home, memory) and thus, to identity.

Whether we look at the social and cultural construction of waste as an
historical and political process  or at waste as an uncomplicated problem
of excess, there are real consequences for people and the planet. Given the
interdisciplinary breadth of food studies, this course will provide a
survey of studies on food waste from a variety of viewpoints that look at
how food/waste is a vehicle for personal, cultural and political identity/
usage in the city of Rome and in Italy.

Through this course, you will have the opportunity to study about Italian
contributions to the study of food waste and foodways in urban and rural
settings, and to analyze different cultural approaches to the study of food
justice. The city of Rome is our laboratory for the study and research of
food waste.

For more information about our research project, please contact our
director, Dr. Sonia Massari at sonia.mass...@gustolab.com

If you want to know more about us and our course, visit our website
<http://www.gustolab.com/summer-programs-in-vietnam-italy-japan/#tab-id-2>
or or
watch a short video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo2XtO7emhs> about one
of our course partners in Italy.

To request applications, write to i...@gustolab.com. It is possible to
apply until April 25, 2017.

Suitable for students studying: ecology, sustainability, environmental
sciences, nutrition, family and consumer sciences or general food studies.

We await you in Rome!

Thank you,
Salem

[image: GLI Gustolab International] <http://www.gustolab.com>

SALEM PAULOS
Assistant to the Director

salem.pau...@gustolab.com

130, via Giulia
Rome, Italy 00186
Office phone +39 06 83087975 / +39 06 68804073
Fax +39 06 92912046
www.gustolab.com
facebook <https://www.facebook.com/GustolabInstitute> twitter
<https://twitter.com/gustolabinst> instagram