What she said (below)... I couldn't have said it better.

I will be marching tomorrow for the same reasons.

On 19 Apr 2017, at 18:40, Rachel Blakey <rachelvbla...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear ECOLOG-ers,

I’m Rachel, an early-career ecologist from Australia about to start my
second postdoc in the U.S. I am starting this thread in response to several
emails on the list where people are making arguments about why we, as
scientists, should not march for science. It’s clear that the March for
Science (https://www.marchforscience.com/) signifies different things to
different people. This is OK, it’s what happens when we are building a
diverse political movement, and these discussions are all part of it. Given
this diversity of opinions, I thought it would be useful to share why many
of us will be marching for science on Saturday.* I will start out with my
opinion, but I hope that many of you will also share yours. *

I am marching to protest the game-changing environmental policies of
President Trump that not only affect the US but the world. Trump’s
administration has denied the science behind climate change and is taking
steps to exit the Paris Agreement while removing regulations on fossil
fuels to allow big polluters free reign. Furthermore, he is dismantling the
EPA and is scaling back NASA’s earth science program, hampering our
abilities to monitor, research and respond to global environmental change.
As scientists, we are not only fighting for our jobs but for the future of
the planet. Bad environmental policies are not limited to the Trump
administration, so I am also marching to demand the following from global
governments: broad-scale emissions reductions, transition to renewable
energy, science-based decision making, science-based natural resource
management and an increased investment in biodiversity conservation,
including expansion of protected areas. The vagaries of the global market
are not a viable substitute for evidence-based decision-making when it
comes to preserving the future of our planet.

I also wanted to address the concerns about the March for Science being a
protest. There seems to be a lot of concern about protests being
ineffectual and many insist that the March for Science is not a protest. As
a woman, it is close to home for me: the suffragettes protested and even
died, so that one day I could get my PhD. Without the civil rights
movement, we would not have the African American scientists who contributed
blood banks, open heart surgery and the NASA advancements shown in *Hidden
Figures*. Forty-seven years ago, on what we now know as “earth day” (that
we have co-opted for the March for Science this year), 20 million Americans
protested, demanding better protection for the environment. These protests
spurred changes such as the creation of the EPA and legislation to protect
air, water and endangered species. Forty-seven years later, we must
mobilise again to protect these hard-won gains. However, a protest in
itself is not everything. We must see this protest as a first step in
galvanizing and rebuilding the global environment movement. All of the
alternatives to the March for Science proposed by ECOLOG-ers are also
important components of this movement. As scientists, we need to work
together, focus on our common goals and support each other because we have
a big task ahead of us.

As an applied scientist, who asks questions that concern environmental
management and conservation, I often feel that I am “fiddling while Rome
burns”. I think that for our work to be relevant and important, we need to
engage with the community, our stakeholders *and* in politics. If we stand
by while climate change is admonished and even the flat earth society is
re-emerging, we have failed ourselves and we have failed our community.

*I would love to hear from fellow ECOLOG-ers about why they will march for
science on Saturday, please reply to the thread!*

Cheers,
Rachel V. Blakey
University of New South Wales
Australia/California, US