The New York Times article was interesting, but one would expect that GPA would
be a better predictor of future grades than an interview.  One would not
necessarily expect GPA to be the best predictor of performance outside the
classroom - it probably doesn’t hurt, but there are other factors that are
important to consider.

I’m still fairly new to running my own lab (3 yrs), but here’s what I’ve found
to be useful when hiring prospective undergrads, techs, grad students, and
postdocs.

Selecting candidates to interview:
- GPA and similar measures can be useful as an initial filter, especially for
undergrads who don’t have a lot on their resume yet.  But I don’t I tend to not
use too high a bar at this stage as it can exclude people who turn out to be
really good at actual research tasks, but maybe made a rough start in intro
college classes.
- More and more, I’m trying to be specific in listing what skills or
experiences I want a person to have coming into a position (vs. the ones they
can learn on the job).  I can then use a spreadsheet to tick off which
applicants have these skills/experiences or not, thereby avoiding the “first
impressions” issue when reading and trying to rank resumes.  For undergrads, I
often find I have to email some of them to ask for more information - in a
recent search, none of the applicants addressed all of the requirements in
their resume or cover letter.  I’m not sure whether I would have taken the time
to do this if some of the applicants DID address all the qualifications, but it
turned out to be very helpful.

The interview:
- Some structure is vital.  Since there are always particular skills or
experiences you are looking for, you need to ask every candidate about those
things.  If you don’t don’t ask everyone similar questions, you can’t properly
compare them.
- However, as some other respondents have pointed out, the exact wording of the
questions could differ depending on the person’s file and you might need to ask
different follow-up questions.  For instance: “I see that you’ve listed
experience with forest modeling.  What kind of models have you worked with?”
vs. “I see you have experience with C++.  Have you ever worked with forest
models?”
- I always ask: “Do you have any questions for me?” That can reveal interesting
things, such as the degree to which the person has taken the trouble to look up
what your lab does.

I’m still working on figuring out what questions or evidence from someone’s
past record best predict the ability to work independently (but seek help when
necessary), to come up with interesting questions/creative solutions, and to
exhibit persistence/“fire in the gut”.  For those with a more extensive
work/school record and good interview skills these qualities come through loud
and clear… but if someone has no research experience, for example, or is a bit
shy and awkward, it can be hard to tell.  I like the suggestion of posing a
hypothetical question and asking “how would you handle that?”.

Emily Moran
UC Merced

On May 19, 2017, at 2:38 AM, Chinmay Hemant Joshi