**

A postdoc position is available in the Amend Lab in the Department of Botany at

the University of Hawaii at Manoa. The successful applicant will join a dynamic

group of researchers interested in microbial ecology and evolution within the

unique Hawaiian archipelago. In collaboration with the Perry lab at CSUEB

http://filoboletus.wixsite.com/perrylab,  the researcher will primarily be

responsible for analysis and authorship of studies characterizing the factors

that determine leaf surface fungal communities in and on native Hawaiian plants,

as well as connectivity with other habitats. The researcher will have access to

several large existing datasets, and will be integral to a nascent

University-wide microbiome research initiative involving collaboration with

multiple labs and departments across the University. While some laboratory

experience will be helpful, the position will be largely analytical with ample

opportunity for publication from the onset.

Additionally, the researcher will be responsible for participating

in the training and oversight of graduate and undergraduate students.

The appointment is for one year, with a high likelihood of continuation for a

second pending funding availability and progress towards research objectives.

Salary is commensurate with experience, and will be "livable" given Hawaii's

high cost of living.

Start date is as soon as is feasible.

The Amend lab is strongly committed to achieving excellence through diversity.

We are aware of biases, conscious and unconscious, in academia and in science

and we actively seek to reduce the role of these biases in our own decisions and

in those of our colleagues and collaborators. We work together to combat

prejudice and work toward equity and inclusion, within the lab and in the

communities with whom we interact – on campus and beyond.

*Required Qualifications*

Successful candidates will hold a Ph.D. degree in biology, botany, microbiology,

ecology or other relevant field. Researchers with a Masters degree and strong

publication record may be considered. Researchers must be willing to contribute

to a respectful, collegial, honest, and productive lab environment.

*Desirable Qualifications*

-Knowledge of Hawaiian plants, fungi and/or microbial ecology. -Background in

macroecology and/or community ecology theory, including familiarity with network and metacommunity literature.

-Experience analyzing high-throughput community data.

-Facility with statistical programming tools (R preferred), and the

ability to interface with a supercomputer via ssh.

-Creativity.

-Evidence of compelling and clear scientific writing.

*To apply*

Please visit our lab’s website to learn more about the group and the research we

conduct: www.amendlab.com <http://www.amendlab.com>. As a single PDF, please submit a CV, a cover letter, and the names/contact information for three referees to Anthony Amend:

am...@hawaii.edu <mailto:am...@hawaii.edu>. Consideration of applications will begin immediately and will

continue until the position is filled.

*A link to this ad:*