Girls on outdoor Adventure for Leadership and Science (GALS) is a free summer
program for high
school girls from underrepresented groups in STEM to learn science while
backpacking.  GALS is led
by graduate students in STEM who serve as role models for the girls.  For most
participants, this is
their first experience interacting with female scientists – and their first
time exploring science outside
of the classroom.  GALS participants spend 10 days in the backcountry learning
about the ecology,
earth science, and chemistry of their surroundings through hands-on lessons.
The program
culminates with an individual research investigation, which is presented to
family, friends, and
scientists on the final day of the program.

We are looking to expand the program to other states by establishing
partnerships with other
universities and/or organizations that would be interested in hosting a GALS
program.  If you are
interested in starting a GALS partner program, please e-mail Jacqueline Gerson
at
jacqueline.ger...@duke.edu.

For more information about GALS, please check out our website at
sites.duke.edu/gals.