This issue of accessing papers without a university affiliation can be a tricky
one, but it seems to be getting easier.

There are plenty of established, reputable open access journals out there.  The
PLoS family of journals conduct quite extensive peer reviews these days, and
many scientific societies are now publishing their own open-access journals
(for example, the Ecological Society of America recently started “Ecosphere”).
You can check on how long they have been publishing and their rankings at sites
like this: http://www.scimagojr.com/index.php
http://www.citefactor.org/journal-impact-factor-list-2014.html

However, I tend to find it more efficient to search for articles by topic
rather than by journal, and there are a lot of options for getting access to
articles for free even if they were not published in open-access journals.

I like using google scholar because the results often link directly to a
full-text version.  Sometimes the full-text isn’t available without paying
unless you are on a campus or connected via VPN to a university system, but
sometimes they are - the algorithm often finds papers that are freely available
on a researcher’s website, through the journal itself, or in a paper archive.
If this isn’t the case for the main hits page, you can click on the “all X
versions” link under the name to check for other options.  If nothing is
available, you could check the authors’ webpages or email them to get the full
text if the abstract - which usually is available - looks interesting enough
(though that is obviously a lot more work).  Some universities, including the
University of California system, require researchers to make at least the
last-prepublication-draft version of their papers public (UC uses
http://escholarship.org/).

I have also had good luck using ResearchGate
(https://www.researchgate.net/home) to discover and access papers.  It is free
to sign up, and if you “follow” the work of people in your field the system
will email you with publications you may be interested in.  Then you can either
just download it or request the full text from them by clicking a button.

Emily Moran
UC Merced

On Sep 7, 2017, at 2:10 AM, Neahga Leonard