Dear colleagues,

We are looking for a highly motivated PhD-student to join our new research
project on the interactions between climate, insect life-history and food
webs on oak.

For more information see the project description (below) and the following
link:

http://www.su.se/english/about/working-at-SU/jobs?rmpage=job
<http://www.su.se/english/about/working-at-SU/jobs?rmpage=job&rmjob=4100&rml
ang=UK> &rmjob=4100&rmlang=UK

Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly by email, (closing date is
November 5)

My best,

Ayco Tack

ayco.t...@su.se <mailto:ayco.t...@su.se>

Project description

Climate change has already altered the phenology of plants and organisms at
higher trophic levels. Among plants, this has resulted in a temporal shift
towards earlier bud burst and/or flowering, and among plant-feeding insects
in earlier emergences. But more radical changes can happen than shifts in
phenology: with increasing temperature, species may increase the number of
generations per year (voltinism). Such changes may be extremely important
from an ecological and evolutionary perspective, as an additional generation
may accelerate both population growth and rate of adaptation, and may also
lead to temporal mismatches between interacting species. However, we lack
insight in how climate affects the voltinism of species within natural
multitrophic communities, and how this in turn may shape food web structure
and dynamics.

The overarching aim of the PhD project is to understand how spatial and
temporal variation in climate affects the voltinism of a diverse community
of herbivores and parasitoids on oak, and the consequences for food web
structure and dynamics. The project will combine several approaches: i)
fields surveys describing the spatial and temporal patterns in voltinism of
a community of herbivores and parasitoids on oak, ii) heating experiments to
disentangle how climatic variation (spring, summer and autumn heating)
drives the voltinism of, and synchrony between, herbivores and parasitoids,
and iii) detailed climate-chamber and laboratory experiments on five
selected species to probe the impact of voltinism on herbivore and
parasitoid preference and performance.

____________________________________

Ayco Tack
Assistant professor
Department of Ecology, Environment and Plant Sciences

Stockholm University
SE-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Visiting address: Svante Arrhenius Väg 20A, room N420
Phone: + 46-(0)8-163959
Mobile: + 46-(0)70-4942557
 <mailto:ayco.t...@su.se> ayco.t...@su.se

 <http://www.plantmicrobeinsect.com/> www.plantmicrobeinsect.com