Graduate Assistantships are available in Dr. Cheryl Schultz’s Conservation
Biology Lab. We use a
population ecology lens to gain understanding of the ecology of at-risk species
and develop
conservation and restoration responses to global change. Our work largely
focuses on rare butterflies
and their habitats in the Pacific Northwest as a model system to address broad
ecological questions
as well as advance conservation on-the-ground.

We expect to recruit 1-2 new graduate students for Fall 2018 as part of newly
funded projects.
Graduate students are supported on a combination of research and teaching
assistantships during
the academic year and grant funding during the summer.

One project is funded by SERDP (Strategic Environmental Research and
Development Program) to
increase our understanding of the effects of climate-mediated changes in
phenology on butterfly
population viability. The new student will have the opportunity to develop a
project with Puget blue
butterfly in the Western Washington Prairies that broadly advances project
goals. This is part of a
five-year multi-university project.  The new student will have the opportunity
to collaborate with PIs,
postdocs and graduate students across several institutions. We encourage
potential PhD students
interested in working on this project to get in touch to learn more and to
apply.

A second project relates to non-target effects of herbicides on Oregon
silverspot butterfly – a high
priority project funded by USGS in collaboration with USFWS to assist in
reintroduction and habitat
restoration for this rapidly declining threatened species.  The research will
largely involve greenhouse
studies with surrogate butterfly species on butterfly behavior and demography
of all life stages (egg,
larva, adult). Because of the urgency in understanding these herbicide effects
relative to the timing of
reintroduction efforts, the new student will conduct initial experiments in
Spring/Summer 2018 as a
research assistant in the Conservation Biology lab, then formally matriculate
as a graduate student for
the Fall 2018 semester.  We encourage well-qualified potential MS or PhD
students get in touch to
learn more and to apply.

Washington State University Vancouver is a new campus in the WSU system located
in Southwest
Washington just across the Columbia River from Portland, Oregon and is close to
Willamette Valley
and South Puget Sound prairies.  Currently with ~3400 students, it is a new and
rapidly growing
campus in the WSU system.  Students benefit from outstanding faculty,
world-class research, state-
of-the-art facilities and small class sizes.
https://cas.vancouver.wsu.edu/science-graduate-programs

Interested students should look at the “Join us” link and send requested
information to Cheryl
Schultz, schul...@wsu.edu. https://labs.wsu.edu/conservation-biology/    In
addition, Dr. Schultz will
be at the Entomology Association of America annual meeting in November and
would be happy to
meet with potential students while at the meeting.