For the Love of Rattlesnakes, Scrub All GPS Data from Your Nature Photos
That goes for any at-risk species when poachers and collectors are scanning
social media to scout
new populations to ransack.

Asia Murphy
Oct 23 2017, 9:00am , From Motherboard.vice.com

Dr. Chris Howey, an assistant professor at the University of Scranton, slid
over a Post-it with the
coordinates I had come for. "Turn off anything that transmits location before
you visit it," he said.
"Make sure the GPS-embedding is off on your camera. And be careful."

The coordinates were for something better than a place that sold a really,
really good cup of coffee,
or an illegal outdoor marijuana patch known only to stressed out, local
graduate students. They led
me, sweating and crawling with spiders, to a special, out-of-the-way pile of
rocks that soon promised
to hold a slithering congregation of venomous timber rattlesnakes preparing to
den for the winter.

As a species, rattlesnakes are almost quintessentially American. Some
Appalachian Christians still
practice their faith by holding the serpents bare-handed. Benjamin Franklin
once called the
rattlesnake "a strong picture of the temper and conduct of America", which
would make sense if
America was a long-lived, slow-growing, near-sighted, sociable creature that
took care of its children
and spent its winters underground with dozens of its neighbors.

America, however, has long had a bad relationship with this supposed mirror
image of itself. As
author and former Bronx Zoo zoologist Ted Levin wrote in his book on timber
rattlesnake biology and
conservation, early settlers would create involuntary snake suicide bombers,
tying lit gunpowder to
the animals and letting them into the dens. Pregnant females would be gutted,
their rattles and the
rattles of their unborn babies cut off for a $1 bounty. Even today, people will
post gloating pictures of
a beheaded snake, rattlesnake or otherwise. Some town economies are heavily
based on rattlesnake
roundups, where thousands of snakes are killed in front of tens of thousands of
viewers.

Asking where a den is, or even a time when snakes are most active, is akin to
asking someone how
their mother is doing at her funeral.

This animosity has caused amateur "herpers" (short for herpetologist, a
scientist who studies reptiles
and amphibians) who gather online to share pictures of animals seen, to become
extremely cautious
when it comes to sharing location information for fear of the animals being
collected for the pet trade
or killed.

"Collectors certainly use Instagram, forums, and other online resources to find
new populations to
pillage," wrote Melissa Amarello, co-founder of Advocates for Snake
Preservation, in an email. And if
we're talking about a species that is despised, threatened, or endangered, she
added, "there's a real
risk of harm to individuals and populations."

Amarello wasn't referring specifically to the timber rattlesnake, which is
currently listed endangered
in a handful of states and threatened in others, primarily in the north and
northeastern US. But she
might as well have been.

Nowadays, asking where a den is, or even a time when snakes are most active, is
akin to asking
someone how their mother is doing at her funeral. And it isn't just amateur
herpers who are becoming
secretive; more and more scientists, including Howey, are taking care to
obscure or even omit
locations of certain species to avoid them being harassed, collected, or even
killed. Apps like
HerpMapper and iNaturalist automatically obscure the locations of species
observed.

It's not only exact locations that herpers are afraid of sharing. People are
careful to keep
recognizable landmarks out of their pictures, because they know someone
determined enough could
use them and other biogeographical markers to find their quarry.

"I have many pictures that will not see the light of day because it would be
too easy for someone to
look at it and say, 'Hey, I know where that is,'" Howey told me over email. But
despite the general
sense of caution, it doesn't seem well-known among the herping community that
there might be
easily-scraped GPS information in pictures they've eagerly shared.

"I'm familiar with the idea," David Steen, a conservation biologist at Auburn
University, wrote to me.
"But I haven't spent much time thinking about it. The possibility of
inadvertently sharing location
information … would definitely make me think twice about sharing pictures
online."

——
From Neil Balchon, posted October 5th on Facebook,
I lost a little more faith in humanity today. I arrived at my field site around
noon and quickly
discovered that someone had been there maybe an hour previous. Someone decided
that they'd
occupy their morning killing snakes - harmless, defenseless, benign garter
snakes gathering around
a den they likely would have used for decades. There's no public road near
here, and it's a good walk
from the nearest vehicle access.
I gathered up 50 snakes with bashed in heads or just outright decapitated
strewn throughout the
weeds. All were still moving and bleeding, a few were even still living. I felt
an additional tinge of
disgust when one of the dead snakes had a blue dorsal stripe - an individual
marked for my research.
He turned out to be #1, a snake that arrived at the dens around September 1st;
the very first snake I
marked for my research. He was a healthy male that was in great body condition
and prepared to
endure 7 months of fasting and bitter cold.

It really blows my mind. These animals migrate across great distances (17km+)
and face many
obstacles on the journey: vehicles, predatory birds, etc. It amazes me that
snakes can undertake
these kinds of journeys and overall carry out astounding life histories only to
ultimately meet their
end at such an unjustified death.

Come on guys - we have to be better than this.

It made me think twice as well. As of now, sharing pictures—minus landmarks—is
encouraged, but if
location might still be inferred, would picture-sharing become faux pas? After
some digging, I
discovered that a majority of the popular social media sites automatically
strip an image's EXIF data,
which includes location, as it's being uploaded. I tested this, attempting to
scrape geodata from
pictures on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Happily, I got nothing.

Unlike scientists who have to decide whether to publish the locations or not,
you and I don't have to
worry about inadvertently harming animals by sharing a picture we took on a
hike. However, change
might be on the horizon. In 2016, a Berlin photographer won a lawsuit against
Facebook for
automatically stripping EXIF data, arguing that it violated German copyright
law. Might this German-
specific ruling soon have global consequences?

"From the perspective of protecting rare species, I think it is a benefit that
social media sites strip
information from pictures," Steen said. "People may not even know that they are
… sharing pictures
of rare and sensitive species, let alone think about it enough to remove
location information."

Unfortunately, there may soon come a day when we will have to think twice about
sharing pictures to
protect the nature we love.

I went back to the nondescript pile of rocks a few weeks ago, backpack loaded
with camera and
lenses. Nothing greeted me but the faint, echoing rattle of a snake, hidden
somewhere in the stone-
guarded space beneath my feet. I left without a picture. I don't regret it.