Two PhD positions in Global Ecosystem Modeling at ETH-Zurich
www.crowtherlab.com

The Crowther lab at ETH Zurich is searching for 2 PhD students in Ecosystem
Modeling.
Our research focus is to generate an ecologically-informed knowledge of Earth
system
dynamics to improve our understanding of climate change, and our capacity to
combat it.
The overall goals of the PhD are to examine how terrestrial carbon storage (in
soil and/or
vegetation) will change over the rest of this century in response to climate,
or land use
change. This is necessary to improve our ability to project future atmospheric
carbon
concentrations and the climate. We seek ecologists who are interested in Earth
System
Models that will enable them to identify critical uncertainties that can be
addressed
through experimental or observational research.

Consistently ranked in the top 10 universities in the world, ETH Zurich
provides an ideal
location to perform this quantitative research. The Department of Environmental
Systems
Science boasts a highly interdisciplinary group of world-leading experts that
provide a
good opportunity for collaboration. This will be reflected in this lab, which
will bring
together experts with highly different skill sets to promote interdisciplinary
research.

We look for a dynamic and highly motivated candidate who holds hold a Master’s
degree
in Ecology, Earth System Modeling, Biochemical Modeling, Biostatistics or a
related topic.
All research will require strong quantitative/analytical stills, with
considerable experience
handling big datasets and generating models. Experience in Earth System
Modeling or
complex system analysis will be favorable. The researcher should be driven to
lead
experimental/observational studies or meta-analyses that generate the empirical
data
needed to parameterize global biogeochemical models.

Apply using this link: https://apply.refline.ch/845721/5726/pub/1/index.html.
We look
forward to receiving your online application including a 1-page statement of
interest, a CV,
and the contact details of two references by November 5th, 2017. Please note
that we
exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal.
Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.

For further information about the application or group please contact Prof. Dr.
Thomas
Crowther by email at tom.crowt...@usys.ethz.ch (no application submissions via
email
please).