Dear colleagues,

We invite presentations for a *special session *on* winter and seasonality
in aquatic systems* at the *Association for the Sciences of Limnology and
Oceanography (ASLO) Summer Meeting *this June 2018 in Victoria, British
Columbia. Abstract deadline is Feb 23. We welcome diverse presentations on
inland waters and marine systems that incorporate winter or broader
seasonal dynamics, including ice-covered or ice-free conditions. Please use
session code SS02 upon submission. You should arrange to submit
registration fees along with your abstract.

SS02: IMPORTANCE OF WINTER AND SEASONALITY IN AQUATIC SYSTEMS
Stephen Powers, Washington State University (steve dot powers at wsu dot
edu)
Diane McKnight, University of Colorado (diane dot mcknight at colorado dot
edu)
Bailey McMeans, Univ of Toronto Mississauga (bailey dot mcmeans at utoronto
dot ca)
Ted Ozersky, Univ Minnesota Duluth (tozersky at d dot umn dot edu)

Twitter link (pleeze retweet)...

https://twitter.com/st3powers/status/931220557177044992

Link to session on ASLO website (SS02)...

https://aslo.org/victoria2018/special-sessions

Session description...

In 1996, the National Research Council’s Committee on Inland Aquatic
Ecosystems highlighted the importance of winter processes in the chapter
Fundamental Research Questions in Inland Aquatic Ecosystem Science. Two
questions were offered that still resonate today, especially under changing
winter conditions: 1) What are the critical events and conditions that
control autotrophic and heterotrophic processes during winter? 2) What
critical processes may occur in winter that control the behavior of
ecosystems in the subsequent summer and spring? In this session we extend
these questions to all freshwater and marine systems and seek presentations
on physical, chemical, and biological processes in the cold, across full
seasonal cycles, and across temperature gradients. We invite contributions
from a range of topics, inclusive to ice phenology, mixing dynamics,
biogeochemistry, food webs, metabolism, or biology/ecology at any level
(molecules to macrosystems) with the goal of understanding winter and
cross-seasonal linkages in diverse systems.

We hope to see you at the ASLO Summer Meeting in Victoria this June!

Sincerely,

Steve Powers

Washington State University

https://smpowers.info/