We are looking for a highly motivated postdoc to work on the role of mosses
in mediating carbon cycling in boreal forests.

Boreal forests store more than 30% of all terrestrial carbon (C). To
protect these C stocks, reduce CO2 emissions and thereby mitigate climate
change, it is crucial to understand the drivers of C cycling in boreal
forests. In these forests, the understory vegetation is often dominated by
feathermosses. The thick layer that these mosses form – the "bryosphere" –
consists of living and dead mosses and is inhabited by a large diversity of
organisms. These organisms collectively comprise the moss food web which
governs the rates of key C cycling processes. In this project, we will take an
integrated approach and test how two key extrinsic drivers (plant litter input
and precipitation) affect C cycling in the bryosphere, and how the bryosphere
affects ecosystem
consists of living and dead mosses and is inhabited by a large diversity of
organisms. These organisms collectively comprise the moss food web which
governs the rates of key C cycling processes. In this project, we will take
an integrated approach and test how two key extrinsic drivers (plant litter
input and precipitation) affect C cycling in the bryosphere, and how the
bryosphere affects ecosystem-level C cycling and long-term C storage in
boreal forests. We will also explore how the composition of the moss food
web controls these processes.

The position is fully funded for 2 years, and is located at the department
of Forest Ecology and Management, SLU, in Umeå, Sweden. The primary
supervisor for the post-doctoral researcher will be Paul Kardol, with
co-supervisors Michael Gundale, Marie
supervisors Michael Gundale, Marie-Charlotte Nilsson, and David Wardle
(Nanyang University, Singapore). The department has 73 members of staff
which 12 are professors. Our mission is to advance the understanding of
forest ecosystem processes and to progress the principles of forest
ecosystem management. For more information,
http://www.slu.se/en/departments/forest-ecology-management/

Duties:
We seek a post-doctoral researcher to investigate the key controls of C
cycling in the bryosphere and quantify the importance of the bryosphere for
ecosystem-level C cycling and long-term C sequestration under realistic
field conditions in northern Sweden. The tasks that this project involves
include the quantification of C fluxes and pools in a unique long-term moss
removal experiment which is set-up across 30 highly contrasting forested
lake islands differing in soil fertility. The post-doctoral researcher will
also run mesocosm and lysimeter experiments under controlled greenhouse or
common garden conditions at SLU-Umeå. We further anticipate that the
post-doctoral researcher will carry out sampling and analysis of microbial
and/or invertebrate communities inhabiting the bryosphere.

Qualifications:
We seek a highly motivated individual with good communication skills in written
and verbal English, and a strong work ethic. We seek someone who is capable of
conducting primary research and developing scientific publications targeted
towards prominent international journals. We also seek someone who can work in
a team context as well as independently. We are looking for someone with a PhD
in ecology or closely related field, particularly with an emphasis in soil
biology. Good numerical and statistical skills and previous experience with C
flux measurements are desirable. A driving license is required for travelling
to field sites.
As postdoctoral appointments are career
doctoral researcher will carry out sampling and analysis of microbial and/
and/or invertebrate communities inhabiting the bryosphere.

Qualifications:
We seek a highly motivated individual with good communication skills in w
written and verbal English, and a strong work ethic. We seek someone who is c
capable of conducting primary research and developing scientific p
publications targeted towards prominent international journals. We also s
seek someone who can work in a team context as well as independently. We a
are looking for someone with a PhD in ecology or closely related field, p
particularly with an emphasis in soil biology. Good numerical and s
statistical skills and previous experience with C flux measurements are d
desirable. A driving license is required for travelling to field sites.
As postdoctoral appointments are career-developing positions for junior
researchers, we
researchers, we are primarily looking for candidates with a doctoral degree
that is three y
that is three years old at the most.

Place of work:
Umeå

Form of employment:
A temporary position for two years

Extent:
100%

Starting date:
According to agreement, but preferable June 1 2018.

Application:
We welcome your application no later than 2018-03-09 at
https://www.slu.se/en/about-slu/jobs-vacancies/?rmpage=job&rmjob=p603

The application should contain the following written in English: 1) A cover let
letter describing yourself and your match to the above mentioned project, as
as well as your motivation for applying for the position. 2) A CV des
describing your education, publications and relevant work experience and 3) nam
names and contact information for three references.

Academic union representatives:
https://internt.slu.se/min-anstallning/facket/kontaktpersoner/

The Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) develops the
understanding and sustainable use and management of biological natural
resources. The university ranks well internationally within its subject
areas. SLU is a research-intensive university that also offers unique degree pr
degree programmes in for example rural development and natural resource
managemen
management, environmental economics, animal science and landscape architect
architecture.

SLU has just over 3,000 employees, 5,000 students and a turnover of SEK 3
billion
billion. The university has invested heavily in a modern, attractive environ
environment on its campuses in Alnarp, Umeå and Uppsala.

SLU is an equal opportunity employer.

Contact person
Paul Kardol
paul.kar...@slu.se