Jill Anderson at the University of Georgia is searching for an enthusiastic
undergraduate
with a strong interest in evolutionary ecology for field research in an NSF REU
position
(National Science Foundation, Research Experience for Undergraduates) from June-
August 2018. We study the ecological and evolutionary consequences of climate
change
for natural plant populations. We focus on research on Drummond’s rockcress
(Boechera
stricta in the plant family Brassicaceae), a mustard plant native to the Rocky
Mountains.
Our studies take place around the Rocky Mountain Biological Lab
(http://www.rmbl.org/),
which is located in Gothic, Colorado near the wildflower capital of Colorado
(Crested
Butte).  We quantify plant fitness and traits to ask whether climate change
could disrupt
long-standing patterns of local adaptation, and to test whether phenotypic
plasticity will
enable populations to persist in the short-term. We perform large-scale
reciprocal
transplant experiments to examine patterns of adaptive evolution and natural
selection in
contemporary landscapes. Since fall 2013, we have planted >150,000 seeds and
seedlings
into five experimental gardens ranging in elevation from 2500 m to 3340 m (8202
feet to
11000 feet). Our summer research involves intensive monitoring of these
experimental
plants to record data on germination success, survival, growth, reproductive
success, as
well as life history and morphological traits. We conduct most of our work in
the field, with
a small proportion of indoor lab work.

The successful candidate will assist with ongoing fieldwork. In addition, there
are many
opportunities for students to develop independent projects associated with our
overall
objectives, including studies on: 1) population divergence in
ecologically-relevant traits,
especially drought, UV tolerance, and herbivore resistance; 2) phenotypic
plasticity at
multiple spatial scales; 3) population density and species composition of the
herbivore
community that attacks Drummond’s rockcress; 4) flower color polymorphism; and
5) the
importance of maternal effects in biological responses to climate change.

We are offering a stipend of $500/week for a full time REU student (40
hours/week) for 10
weeks.  The exact start and end dates are flexible. We will cover room and
board at the
Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory and reimburse travel expenses up to $500.
Fieldwork will involve hiking to experimental gardens through rough terrain
(1-3 miles one-
way daily).

The University of Georgia is committed to maintaining a fair and respectful
environment for
living, work, and study.  To that end, all qualified applicants from
individuals with a strong
interest in evolutionary biology will receive consideration for employment
without regard to
race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender
identity, disability
status, or age.  The application consists of a cover letter listing your
qualifications, a CV/
résumé and contact information for two references, all of which can be emailed
to Dr. Jill
Anderson at: jt...@uga.edu
Applications are due by March 16th, 2018.

Feel free to contact Dr. Anderson if you have any questions about the position.
 Additional
information about our work can be found at:
http://andersonlab.genetics.uga.edu/Home.html