Postdoctoral opportunity in plant ecology at UT Austin

Our ability to predict future ecosystem functioning and to accurately manage
ecosystems is often limited by our understanding of plant ecology. In
particular, we struggle to connect the scales of individual plants to
landscape dynamics and global patterns.

Because experiments are impossible across these scales, in the Farrior lab,
we use models to connect them and generate predictions testable with data we
can collect. Through this integration of mechanistic models and data, we
generate new insights into the fundamental governing principles of plant
communities – principles we hope will hold in the future under the novel
environmental conditions that come with climate change.

We are looking for a highly motivated candidate for a postdoctoral position
in plant ecology. The candidate must hold a PhD in Ecology or related fields
at the time the appointment begins. Successful candidates will have some
experience with both empirical and theoretical ecology, evidence of good
writing and communication skills, and organization and collaborative
ability.

Current projects of interest in the lab of interest include, but are not
limited to:
•       Investigating fundamental differences in tropical and temperate
forest ecology through integration of forest size structure, modeling, and
species characteristics.
•       Understanding the variation in competitive pressure among plants
across biome boundaries.
•       Understanding the relative importance of rare disturbance and
constant competitive pressure on plant hydraulic strategies.
Funding is available for 2-3 years. A start date in the summer or early fall
of 2018 is expected.

To apply, compile a single PDF with the following: a (1-2page) statement of
research accomplishments and interests (as they pertain to projects listed
here or other proposed work that fits within the goals of the lab), a CV,
and the contact information for three professional references. Include
details of your experience with and/or preparation for theoretical work.

Review of applications will begin May 25, 2018 and continue until the
position is filled.
Inquiries and applications should be directed to: cfarr...@utexas.edu.
Include in the subject line: Postdoc in Plant Ecology.

We embrace and encourage diversity in many forms and are committed to
inclusivity among our community members, including all students, staff, and
faculty. We define diversity as people of different backgrounds, races,
nationalities, genders, sexual orientations, beliefs, religions, socio-
economic statuses, and more, and inclusivity as an approach where we
respect, welcome, encourage, and engage diverse perspectives. Our strength
and success as a research group, department, and university, is built on the
foundation of a wide range of perspectives and experiences.