Dear all - We're considering setting up a warming experiment using small open-top chambers (1 m dia x 1.2 m tall). We have blowers that ventilate the chambers at about 500 cfm. If anyone has any experience with heating air in such chambers, and could provide some advice on what heaters to get, and what power, we'd greatly appreciate it. We want to elevate air temperatures above control chambers by ~4C.

We do not anticipate adjusting the RH in the warmer chambers. Our reasoning is that if it gets warmer, RH will go down due to the higher temperatures.

If air is at 50% RH at 25C, the VP would be 1.5791 KPa, and air VPD would be 1.5791 KPa. If raised to 28C, the new RH would be 42%, an 8% drop. That's not particularly large with respect to what it might do to leaf conductances. And besides, adding in RH control to this system is beyond our financial means for right now. Anyone have a problem with this reasoning?

Thanks all!
Howie Neufeld

--
Dr. Howard S. Neufeld, Professor