Hi Claire, and Ecologgers,

You might be interested to read a recent paper on crowdfunding in ecology and
conservation, published a few days ago in Conservation Biology
(https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/cobi.13144)

In the paper we explore some of the pros and cons of alternative platforms and
chart the meteoric rise of crowdfunding for ecological research and
conservation action. As you note, there is a wide range of platforms, and the
choice will depend on the type of project you are undertaking, and whether
there is likely to be local, regional, national, or global interest in the work
at hand. The local reputation of your institution could be important if you are
expecting support from primarily local people.

Among other issues raised in the paper, critical to the choice of platform is
whether funds are only released to the project if the target is met, whether
the platform commonly supports projects similar to the one you are proposing,
and the kind of communication and incentives you want to offer for supporters
as the project unfolds.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Richard Fuller

Centre for Biodiversity and Conservation Science
School of Biological Sciences
University of Queensland
Brisbane
QLD 4072
Australia

Read about our work at: http://www.fullerlab.org
Like our lab on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/fullerlab
eBird Profile: http://ebird.org/ebird/profile/Mjg0NTY3
Blog on my Brisbane Big Year: https://www.fullerlab.org/category/blog/
Twitter: @RichFullerUQ
Latest paper: One-third of global protected areas under intense human pressure
- Science - http://science.sciencemag.org/content/360/6390/788