Dear Colleagues,

Please come help celebrate 100 years of AGU in Washington, DC (December 10-14,
2018) by submitting
an abstract to the following session.

To submit an abstract, click:
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/prelim.cgi/Session/47301

Session Title:
New Drylands Pulse Regime Paradigm

Session Description:
Emerging research suggests that drylands dictate the interannual variability
and the size of the
terrestrial carbon sink and thus an improved understanding of the factors that
control dryland
functioning spans numerous AGU fields. By definition, drylands are limited by
water and past research
has focused on how the amount and timing of precipitation affects the structure
and function of arid and
semiarid ecosystems. Precipitation pulse regimes are defined by the frequency,
magnitude, and
distribution of events. Here we propose a session focusing on how variation in
pulse regimes across
geographic and climate space affect processes ranging from the microbial to the
landscape scale. We
envision talks that explore global analyses of pulse regimes, as well as the
impacts of these regimes on
the functioning of drylands. We encourage submissions of theoretical,
empirical, and modeling
approaches.

Abstract deadline: Wednesday, August 1st 2018, 11:59pm EDT.

We hope to see you there!

Osvaldo Sala (Arizona State University)
Sasha Reed (US Geological Survey)