Dear colleagues,

I am writing to announce a special conference session that I am co-organizing
for the ASLO 2019
Aquatic Sciences Meeting.  The title of our session is “Ecological Applications
of Earth System
Models and Regional Climate Models.”  The full session description is provided
below.  We are
seeking abstracts describing innovative research on any aspect of our
conference session’s theme.

The ASLO 2019 Aquatic Science Meeting will take place in San Juan, Puerto
between February 23-
March 2, 2019.  More information about this conference available at:
https://aslo.org/sanjuan2019/main.  Abstract submission for this conference
will open soon.  October
15, 2018 is the final deadline for submitting an abstract.

Best wishes,

Rebecca Asch
Assistant Professor of Fisheries Biology
East Carolina University

SS36 ECOLOGICAL APPLICATIONS OF EARTH SYSTEM MODELS AND REGIONAL CLIMATE MODELS

Rebecca Asch, East Carolina University (asch...@ecu.edu)
Darren Pilcher, NOAA Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory
(darren.pilc...@noaa.gov)
Sara Rivero-Calle, University of North Carolina - Wilmington
(riverocal...@uncw.edu)
Johnna Holding, Aarhus University (joh...@bios.au.dk)

Earth system models (ESMs) and regional climate models (RCMs) are increasingly
utilized by aquatic
ecologists to study global environmental change. Over the last decade, these
models have greatly
enhanced their ability to simulate regional-scale ecosystems by incorporating
additional
biogeochemical processes and plankton functional groups, increasing their
spatial resolution allowing
for greater examination of mesoscale processes, and improving their capacity to
assimilate data from
observing systems. In this session, we invite abstracts that utilize ESMs and
RCMs to examine
fundamental processes that influence ecosystem function and structure,
physical-biological coupling
mechanisms, and the ecological impacts of climate change. Presentations
addressing either marine
or freshwater ecosystems are welcome. We are particularly interested in
research showcasing
ecologically relevant results from models that will be incorporated into the
Panel on Climate Change report. Experimental, mesocosm, and observational
studies whose results
can inform model development and parameterization are also germane. Research
topics pertinent to
this session include, but are not limited to: climate change impacts on
organismal abundance,
species range, phenology, and community structure; ecological impacts of
extreme events;
adaptation and acclimation to changing conditions; ecological forecasts;
end-to-end ecosystem
models; larval dispersal and population connectivity, and; regime shifts and
interannual-to-decadal
variability in ecosystem structure.