Due to unplanned issues with the website, the Ecological Society of America
(ESA) has
decided to push back ESA Awards' deadlines until October 25, 2018!

Don't miss this opportunity for helping to support our international (non-US)
ecologists
with the ESA Whittaker Awards or our students studying hot deserts of North
America
with the Forrest Shreve Award. More information is below and we hope to see
your
nominations for these exciting opportunities!

Robert H. Whittaker Awards
Please consider helping the Ecological Society of America (ESA) honor our
international
scientists through the Robert H. Whittaker awards. There are two Whittaker
Awards, both
of which recognize ecologists who are not U.S. citizens and who reside outside
the U.S.

The Whittaker Distinguished Ecologist award is an honorary award that
recognizes an
ecologist with an earned doctorate and an outstanding record of contributions
in ecology.
The Whittaker Travel Award specifically recognizes an outstanding ecologist in
developing country. They can be at any career stage. The Whittaker Travel Award
provides funds for travel to the United States for research or to attend the
ESA meeting,
covering expenses up to $1200.

Nominations for both awards can be made directly by the nominee or by an ESA
member
on behalf of the nominated ecologist. Nominations for these awards should
include a
curriculum vitae, a short description how the awardee intends to use the award
(for the
travel award only), a letter of nomination providing the rationale for the
award, and no
more than two additional letters of support.

Forrest Shreve Student Research Award
Students, consider submitting an application for the Ecological Society of
America (ESA)
Forrest Shreve Student Research Award, which is a $1000-2000 award given
annually to
support research in the hot deserts of North America: Sonoran, Mojave,
Chihuahuan, and
Vizcaino. Projects should be clearly ecological and should increase our
understanding of
the patterns and processes of deserts and/or desert organisms. This is a great
opportunity to gain some funding for your science and some recognition for your
curriculum vitae!

Send a proposal (not to exceed one page) describing the proposed research,
specifying
the research location, and explaining how the award would further the proposed
research.
Also, include a curriculum vitae and a short proposed budget describing how the
money
will be spent if awarded. A letter of reference should be submitted separately
by a
research supervisor or an appropriate referee familiar with your work. Graduate
and
undergraduate students are eligible, as long as they are currently enrolled in
a degree
program and are (or will become) members of the ESA. Don't miss this
opportunity to
advance desert science!

Nominations for awards should be completed by Thursday, October 25, 2018 and
submitted as a single PDF file to awa...@esa.org. Please find the full
instructions and
more information at https://www.esa.org/esa/about/esa-awards.
Please send any questions about the Whittaker or Shreve awards to Sasha Reed at
scr...@usgs.gov.