The East Carolina University (ECU) Fisheries Oceanography Lab run by Dr.
Rebecca Asch is currently recruiting new Ph.D. and Masters students to join our
research group for the 2019-2020 academic year.  We anticipate accepting 1-2
new graduate students to join our team.  The Asch Lab’s research program
focuses on interactions between fisheries, plankton ecology, and climate change
and climate variability.  Our research approach combines fieldwork, time series
analysis, and ecosystem modeling, with different projects spanning
local-to-global and subseasonal-to-centennial scales.  For more information
about the Asch Lab, please see:
http://www.ecu.edu/cs-cas/biology/Rebecca_Asch.cfm.  Also the most up-to-date
list of Asch Lab publications is available at:
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Rebecca_Asch.

We seek students who are highly self-motivated, independent, and creative
thinkers that are enthusiastic about pursuing a career in marine ecology,
oceanography, and/or fisheries management.  A strong background in quantitative
ecology, computer programming (e.g., MATLAB, R, Python), and/or multivariate
statistics is desired, but not required.  There are several ongoing and soon to
be initiated projects that a prospective student could develop into a
dissertation or thesis:

(1) Modeling climate change impacts on mismatches between the timing of fish
reproduction and prey availability for larval fishes.  The Asch Lab is using
Earth System Models (ESMs) to understand how the seasonal timing of plankton
blooms will shift under climate change and how such shifts may impact the
survival of larval fishes.  We are looking to expand this line of research to
gain a more detailed understanding of the climate change responses of different
plankton functional types included in ESMs.

(2) Examining seasonal variations in predator-prey interactions among larval
fishes and mesozooplankton in Beaufort Inlet, North Carolina.  This project
will build off existing research in the Asch Lab examining how climate
variability affects the seasonal timing of larval fish ingress into Beaufort
Inlet, as well as a recently established time series where we are using ZooScan
to identify zooplankton taxa in an automated fashion via a machine learning
algorithm.  The prospective student could expand on this research through
either: (1) an examination of prey selectivity among the larvae of commercially
and ecologically important fishes, or; (2) investigating how the morphometric
condition of larvae varies over time as a function of seasonality, fish growth,
temperature, and zooplankton abundance.  Both of these projects will contribute
towards understanding how seasonal mismatches between the phenology of
zooplankton and larval fishes may affect recruitment to fisheries.

(3) Forecasting the seasonal timing of spawning migrations of anadromous
fishes.  A forecast model for the striped bass population in the Roanoke River
will be developed based on historical data on environmental variables and
spawning activity.  Forecasts will then be validated and refined through
fieldwork, with a final, operational forecast product to be delivered to
fisheries managers and the fishing community.

We also welcome applications from students who are interested in developing
their own research ideas into a thesis or dissertation, as long as those ideas
are closely connected with the overarching research foci of the Asch Lab.

Information on graduate programs in the ECU Department of Biology is available
at: http://www.ecu.edu/cs-cas/biology/BiologyGrad/index.cfm.  Doctoral students
can apply to work in the Asch Lab either through either the Interdisciplinary
Doctoral Program in Biological Sciences (IDPBS) or the Coastal Resources
Management (CRM) Program.  Graduate students accepted to one of these programs
will be funded through either a research or teaching assistantship.  The
priority deadline to apply for graduate admissions in the ECU Department of
Biology is January 15, 2019.  However, prospective students should contact
Rebecca Asch by email (asch...@ecu.edu) in advance of this deadline, preferably
by mid-December.  This email should include: (1) a brief statement describing
your research interests and career goals; (2) A C.V. or resume, and; (3) an
unofficial academic transcript.