JOB TITLE       Spatial Ecologist
REPORTS TO      Director of Global Conservation Science
BASED AT (OFFICE LOCATION)      Boise, ID
REGULAR/TEMPORARY       Regular FULL/PART TIME  Full-Time Exempt

MISSION
Conserving Birds of Prey Worldwide

WORK WITH US
The Peregrine Fund protects the Earth’s raptors, partnering with local people
on five continents to inspire action and preserve essential habitat. Support
comes from individual donors, corporations, foundations, and government grants.
We were founded in 1970 to rescue the Peregrine Falcon from extinction by
pioneering methods to breed and release them across North America. With that
historic success, our mission grew to encompass all raptor species worldwide.
Today we:
•       Restore critically endangered species
•       Research little-known species
•       Train and support local conservation leaders
•       Engage all ages with environmental education
•       Conserve habitat

Our employee benefits program plays a vital role in demonstrating our
commitment to our employees. We are pleased to offer eligible employees a
benefits program that is comprehensive and among the best among our peer
institutions, including a 403(b) retirement program as well as health, dental,
vision, life and long-term disability insurance.

The Peregrine Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

The successful applicant will be required to complete a background screening
before final offer of employment is made.

POSITION SUMMARY
The Spatial Ecologist is responsible for analysis of raptor distributions
across the globe using data housed in The Peregrine Fund’s Global Raptor Impact
Network (GRIN) database. They supervise the input of data into the GRIN
database—soliciting and mobilizing historical and contemporary data from
researchers around the world. The Spatial Ecologist develops and implements
methods to estimate historical distributions of raptors and estimate changes in
distributions as data are collected. They perform various spatial analyses to
inform, for example, reintroduction efforts, species and landscape
conservation, and habitat management.

RESPONSIBILITES AND SCOPE
•       Oversee mobilization of historical spatial data into the GRIN database
•       Develop and implement methods to estimate historic, current, and future
ranges of global raptor species
•       Identify, map, and prioritize landscapes of conservation importance to
raptors
•       Develop and implement methods to map the distributions of threats to
raptors
•       Map and analyze raptor movement data from tracking devices
•       Work closely with the Peregrine Fund’s project directors to produce
publication quality maps and other data visualizations as needed
•       Solicit and standardize data in collaboration with raptor researchers
around the world

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
•       Ph.D. in biology, geography, wildlife management, or related field
•       Experience in spatial analysis of terrestrial vertebrate distributions
•       Proficiency with the most current versions of ArcGIS software and ESRI
databases

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
•       Proven record of peer reviewed publications
•       Experience with spatial analysis of bird distributions
•       Experience with large databases of bird sightings such as eBird, GBIF,
and the Avian Knowledge Network
•       Experience with MaxEnt modeling
•       Proficiency using R for statistical or geospatial analyses
•       Experience analyzing animal movement data
•       Knowledge of raptor ecology and global conservation issues
•       Knowledge of publicly available geospatial data for terrestrial land
cover

To apply, please send your CV with a cover letter in one file to
employm...@peregrinefund.org