Where: Berlin

When: 20-24 May 2019

Instructor:

Dr. Sara Varela (https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=8dckI70AAAAJ&hl=en)

Dr. A. Márcia Barbosa
(https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=66awMnEAAAAJ&hl=en)

Course website:  https://www.physalia-courses.org/courses-workshops/course45/

Course Overview

Ecological niche models (ENMs) are a fundamental tool for working in global
change biology. Predicting species distributions is key for designing
conservation and management plans that remain effective in the long run.
Further, combining population genetics with maps of the species potential
ranges in the past (e.g. during the last glacial maximum), allows researchers
to unveil the role of cyclic global climatic changes on population dynamics.

ENMs use data on species occurrences (both past or present) along with climatic
layers, to extract the climatic conditions where the species have been sampled,
and map species potential range dynamics through time.

ENMs have been widely used and discussed in the recent literature. Data and
biases in the data, climatic layers and climatic models, and most of all, the
models itself. How to test our map predictions and what those map predictions
really mean was hotly debated in the last 10 years.

In this workshop, we are going to teach you how to use R to program ENMs,
models that aim to map the distribution of species based on its climatic
requirements. Day by day, we will cover all the different steps of making an
ENM and we will talk and discuss about their drawbacks (see below).

Targeted audience & ASSUMED BACKGROUND

This workshop is aimed at postgraduate students and researchers who are
interested in using ENMs in their research. Experience in using R is not
mandatory, but desirable. We will use R and RStudio in the lessons.

TEACHING FORMAT

The workshop is delivered over ten half-day sessions (see the detailed
curriculum below). Each session consists of a combination of lectures and
practical exercises, with breaks at the organisers’ discretion. There will also
be time for students to discuss their own problems and data.

Program

 Monday - Classes from 9:30 to 17:30

Occurrence data: how to load your own data and how to import data from open
access databases (such as GBIF or paleobioDB). We will discuss here the
different potential biases on the input data and how to address them.

Tuesday - Classes from 9:30 to 17:30

Climatic layers: types of climatic models (interpolations vs. mechanistic
models, or worldclim vs. AOGCMs). How to use R as a GIS, how to extract
climatic data from your occurrence points, etc.

Wednesday - Classes from 9:30 to 17:30

Ecological Niche Models: types of models (distance models, regressions,
classification and regression trees, maxent). We will learn about the different
R packages to run those models, and their main differences.

Thursday - Classes from 9:30 to 17:30

Program flow. Programming loops for working with large lists of species, models
and climatic scenarios. When working in global change biology we need to
automatize our scripts to make predictions over hundreds of species, trying
several ENMs, and projecting the ENMs over different climatic scenarios (e.g.
present and several future predictions).

Friday - Classes from 9:30 to 17:30

Student exercises. Students will present their case study (we encourage
students to think about a hypothesis that they would like to test during this
course in advance), their initial goals, the problems that they faced, and how
they manage to solve them.