Dear EGSG colleagues:
Please see the Call for Papers below and please direct inquiries to
Chuncui Velma Fan (velma...@ucla.edu) or Sébastien Breau
(sebastien.br...@mcgill.ca).
Best, Norma

2013 AAG Annual Meeting, Los Angeles

2nd CFP: The geographical anatomy of income inequality

Organizers: Chuncui Velma Fan (University of California Los Angeles)
and Sébastien Breau (McGill University)

Sponsored by:  Economic Geography Specialty Group

One of the most significant labor market developments over the last
three decades has been the sharp rise in income inequality. Income
inequality has grown substantially and rapidly in many advanced
economies, including the US, UK and Canada, as well as in in emerging
economies such as China and India.
    So far, research on this topic has been dominated by the work of
economists who tend to focus their analyses on national-level trends.
We still know surprisingly little about sub-national variations in the
distribution of incomes and of the potential causes of such
variations. Likewise, we know little about how inequality is
configured and maintained spatially through the interplay of
national-level policies and local-level outcomes.
    This session seeks to bring together papers that explore the
geographic dimensions of income inequality within countries. More
specifically, we welcome papers that address one of the following
themes:

* new regional geographies of income inequality;
* city size and income inequality;
* intra-metropolitan patterns of inequality;
* geographies of the top 1%;
* recent patterns of inequality in emerging economies;
* the causes of increasing income inequality;
* income inequality in the aftermath of the financial crisis;
* the consequences of growing inequality;
* what can governments do in terms of potential policy responses?

Individuals interested in presenting a paper in this session are
invited to submit an abstract (250 words or less) to Chuncui
(velma...@ucla.edu) or Sébastien (sebastien.br...@mcgill.ca) by 21
October 2012.

Sébastien Breau, Associate Professor
Department of Geography, McGill University
805 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 0B9
Tel.: (514) 398-3242
Fax: (514) 398-7437