Dear Marshall (and all, in case others also interested),

Thank you for your interest in our session.  I think your paper could make a
valuable contribution; you would be coming from a much broader economic
perspective than others, but we are certainly interested in the implications of
a Circular Economy (CE) for the economy at large.  I will provide a few
comments of the meaning of CE in context which we are using, so that you can
consider whether you could/would like to, relate your paper to these ideas.
(I'd be happy to have further discussion between ourselves - and anyone else
specifically interested!)

In the EU and China in particular the expression 'Circular Economy' relates to
policy driven initiatives towards material efficiencies (seeking to maximise
the economic life-span of materials via recycling, re-use, re-manufacturing,
eco-design and more).  I.e., the 'circular' refers primarily to flows of
materials - though the presence of other circuits is noted.  Many of the
activities involved in a CE are not especially new - industrial ecologists have
been exploring similar ideas for a few decades.  However, there is a new
impetus towards material circularities, and a significant increase of interest
from academics, resulting from the emerging policy attention to the area.

A tiny sample of refs:

Lyons, D.; M. Rice; and R. Wachal. 2009. Circuits of scrap: closed loop
industrial ecosystems and the geography of US international recyclable material
flows 1995-2005. Geographical Journal 175:286-300.

Deutz, P. and G. Ioppolo. 2015. From Theory to Practice: Enhancing the
Potential Policy Impact of Industrial Ecology. Sustainability 7:2259-2273.
doi:10.3390/su7022259<http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/su7022259>

Hobson, K. 2016. Closing the loop or squaring the circle? Locating generative
spaces for the circular economy. Progress in Human Geography 40:88-104.

Best wishes,
Pauline.

p.de...@hull.ac.uk<mailto:p.de...@hull.ac.uk>