Dear all - A CFP for AAG 2017 from Padraig Carmody and I.  Best wishes, Jim
Murphy
CFP: AAG Conference 2017 - Boston, MA - April 5-9, 2017
Economic geography and urban theory: Emerging directions
Organizers: Pádraig Carmody, Trinity College Dublin and Jim Murphy, Clark
University
Urban research and theory have recently been sites of lively debate, around the
planetary urbanization thesis, whether or not there is an "urban" economic
sector, the need for non-Eurocentric epistemologies, comparative urbanism and
the need to focus on "ordinary cities".  This literature has proposed new
epistemologies of the urban, sought to conceptualize emergent urban formations
and their spatialities, and advocated for comparative urban research (e.g.,
Koolhaas et al., 2000; Davis, 2005; Myers, 2011; Parnell and Pieterse, 2014;
Brenner and Schmid, 2015; Nijman, 2015; Peck, 2015; Robinson, 2015).  While
this work has raised important questions and provoked new debates and
dialogues, some view recent theorizing as somewhat abstract or disconnected
from the "urban reality," arguably better suited to single-city analyses rather
than comparative research (Storper and Scott (2016:1114).  This CFP seeks
papers which put economic geography in dialogue with recent urban theory,
calling for papers that strive to advance our conceptual understandings and
epistemological approaches to study of the natures, drivers, and spatialities
of urban-economic geographies today.  A few questions/topics that could be
explored through this (these) session(s) include:
*       How might we better conceptualize, understand, and study
(comparatively) the socio-spatial dynamics of urban economies today?
*       What does the evolution and development of "Southern" cities mean for
theories and
*       How can we categorise different types of cities beyond being world,
global or ordinary cities? Does this depend on the nature of their economic
base?
*       How do cities' economic bases interact with, shape and effect other
aspects of city structure and governance?
*       What is the relationship between globalization (e.g., ties to global
production networks, migration, FDI) and the evolution of cities' morphology
and socio-economic conditions and outputs?
We welcome papers which focus on different world regions and/or adopt a
comparative approach. If you would like your paper to be considered please send
your abstract to Pádraig Carmody carmo...@tcd.ie<mailto:carmo...@tcd.ie> and
Jim Murphy jammur...@clarku.edu<mailto:jammur...@clarku.edu> by October 10th.

James T. Murphy, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Graduate School of Geography, Clark University
Editor-in-Chief, Economic Geography -
www.economicgeography.org<http://www.economicgeography.org/>

950 Main Street
Worcester, MA 01610  USA