Sorry for cross posting, but some list members might be interested in this
session in Stockholm next year.

Call for Papers: Nordic Geographers Meeting (NGM2017) (Stockholm, Sweden: June
18th - 21st 2017)

Austerities, economic crises and neoliberalisms: experiences of children, young
people and families

Convenors:
John Horton (University of Northampton, UK) Helena Pimlott-Wilson (Loughborough
University, UK), Sarah Marie Hall (University of Manchester, UK)

Call for papers:
This paper session will explore ways in which diverse, challenging geographies
of 'austerity', 'economic crisis' and 'neoliberalism' have affected the lives
of children, young people and families in international contexts over the last
decade. There is mounting evidence that these social, political and economic
contexts are substantially transforming contemporary geographies of childhood,
youth and family and constituting new or intensified forms of inequality. In
this context, the session will bring together new empirical and conceptual
papers in three thematic areas.

First, we invite submissions of research papers - including qualitative,
quantitative and multi-methods projects - evidencing experiences of children,
young people and families in diverse contexts of austerity, economic crisis and
neoliberalism. The session will explore the geographically-differentiated,
regionally-distinctive and personally-provoking nature of these experiences,
via case studies from different states, regions, localities, cities and
communities. We particularly seek papers which consider intersections between
local/family geographies of austerity, economic crisis and neoliberalism and
wider spatial/social inequalities (e.g. around age, gender, ethnicity,
disability, social class) or contemporary geographical issues (e.g. mobilities,
migrations, debt, finance, use of public space).

Second, we invite papers which provide new conceptual and methodological
reflections relating to the session themes. We particularly seek papers which
critically consider discourses of 'austerity', 'economic crisis' and
'neoliberalism' in relation to contemporary ideas of 'childhood', 'youth' and
'family', or which showcase new, interdisciplinary methodological tools for
exploring and analysing new geographies and inequalities in this context.

Third, the session we invite papers exploring the involvement of children,
young people and families in practices which contest, or offer alternatives to,
geographies of 'austerity', 'economic crisis' and 'neoliberalism'.

Please submit abstracts (no longer than 300 words) by December 10th 2016 to:
John Horton (john.hor...@northampton.ac.uk) Helena Pimlott-Wilson
(h.pimlott-wil...@lboro.ac.uk) Sarah Marie Hall (sarah.m.h...@manchester.ac.uk)

Dr Sarah Marie Hall
Lecturer in Human Geography, Chair of School Ethics Committee, Morgan Centre
Member - University of Manchester

Telephone: 0161 275 3652
I aim to respond to emails within two working days.

Website -- Spotlight -- Research Groups

Most recent publication: Hall, S.M. (2016) 'Everyday Family Experiences of the
Financial Crisis: Getting By in the Recent Economic Recession',Journal of
Economic Geography, 16(2): 305-330.