Dear all,

It is my pleasure to invite attendees to this year's AAG Conference to the
annual Roepke Lecture in Economic Geography which will be given by Dr. Nancy
Fraser from the New School for Social Research.

"From Exploitation to Expropriation: Geographies of Racialization in Historical
Capitalism"

Wednesday, 4/5/2017, from 12:40 PM - 2:20 PM in Ballroom B, Hynes, Third Level

Familiar, exploitation-centered conceptions of capitalism cannot explain its
persistent entanglement with racial oppression. In their place, I suggest an
expanded conception that also encompasses an ongoing but disavowed moment of
expropriation. By thematizing that other "ex," I disclose, first, the crucial
role played in capital accumulation by unfree and dependent labor, which is
expropriated, as opposed to exploited; and second, the equally indispensable
role of politically enforced status distinctions between free, exploitable
citizen-workers and dependent, expropriable subjects. Treating such political
distinctions as constitutive of capitalist society and as correlated with the
"color line," I demonstrate that the racialized subjection of those whom
capital expropriates is a condition of possibility for the freedom of those
whom it exploits. After developing this proposition systematically, I
historicize it, distinguishing four regimes of racialized accumulation
according to how exploitation and expropriation are distinguished, sited, and
intertwined in each.

The journal Economic Geography (at Clark University), in conjunction with the
AAG Economic Geography Specialty Group and the Department of Geography at the
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, are sponsoring the 2017 Roepke
Lecture given by Nancy Fraser, Henry A. and Louise Loeb Professor of Political
and Social Science at The New School for Social Research.

Dr. Sharad Chari will  be the discussant.  Official program details here:
http://meridian.aag.org/callforpapers/program/SessionDetail.cfm?SessionID=27096.

We hope to see you there.

Jim

James T. Murphy, Ph.D.